You can type here any text you want

New to the Game

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

82BTT

Hi everyone, I'm new to the buick turbo world and I have a lot of questions...I just purchased a buick t-type engine. Its an '82 Carb/turbo engine and I don't know what I can do to it. Can I switch it over to the fuel-injection set up? or... can I set it up with a better intake and carb and do a Blow-through turbo? other than fuel system, what should I do to rebuild the engine itself? I know these are loaded questions and there is a lot involved but any help would be great. I've got about two thousand bucks to work with rebuilding this engine...is 300 horse power possible with only that much money? what will help me get more h.p. per dollar? sorry lots of questions in one thread...please teach me, I want to learn. thanks

Hi everyone, I'm new to the buick turbo world and I have a lot of questions...I just purchased a buick t-type engine. Its an '82 Carb/turbo engine and I don't know what I can do to it. Can I switch it over to the fuel-injection set up? or... can I set it up with a better intake and carb and do a Blow-through turbo? other than fuel system, what should I do to rebuild the engine itself? I know these are loaded questions and there is a lot involved but any help would be great. I've got about two thousand bucks to work with rebuilding this engine...is 300 horse power possible with only that much money? what will help me get more h.p. per dollar? sorry lots of questions in one thread...please teach me, I want to learn. thanks

Welcome! :cool:
Anything can be done with enough $$$$.
Post in the "before black" section, and read, read, use the search function, than read some more about everything you can!

For 300 hp goal, I would start looking to switch to an 87 set-up.
It will most likely cost quite a bit more than $2K depending how much you will be doing yourself and what kind of deal you can get. Patience is the key.

The guys and gals in the B4Black section will probably say this is blasphemy, but just my opinion/advice. ;)

Good luck! :smile:

If you bought the motor only and looking for somthing to put it in, thats one thing, if you bought an 82 car thats clean, thats anothr.

maybe sell it in here and find an 86 or 87 block to fiddle with

good luck with which way you decide to go

Your 82 engine is basically a good engine. The early carbed versions weren't blessed with great driveability or big horsepower numbers. The 86-87 version of the 3.8 turbo engine has some engineering improvements such as TTY head bolts and composite head gaskets.

You could switch the entire engine over to 86-87 with all the engine dress items. You might be further ahead to find an 86-87 donor car and use the entire powertrain.

I converted a nice 86 Limited over from the Olds 307 to the 86-87 Powertrain. It is not a project for the novice (if you want to do it correctly). I've bought entire running donor cars under $2000. There are some good posts about converting Regals over to the 86-87 turbo powertrain.

thanks guys... I bought the complete engine, transmission, and all the wiring for 500 bucks... I don't have a car yet to put it in so I'll consider my options. Maybe I'll try to sell it and look for an '87. thanks for the info guys

Another idea would be to put a post in the Wanted to Buy section asking for a fuel injected engine and tranny. I just bought a complete 80,000mile 84GN engine, turbo, tranny, ECM with all wiring, and accesories for $700 plus the gas to go pick it up. Deals can be found just have to dig a little. There are alot of good people on the website. I'm a newbie too, and they have taken me in, and warmly welcomed me to the dark side.:cool:

Back