You can type here any text you want

New torque converter or not??

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Jan Larsson

So most of you know I got the engine out of my TTA after the main bearings gone south ... and thrust bearing gone as well as I could move the crank in and out more than spec ...

Not sure about the cause for this but one thing that been pointed out to me is that possibly the torque converter balloned and pushed the crank forward causing premature wear on the thrust bearing. I have no idea if this is what happened or not but I would hat putting it all back together and have the same thing happen again. (block, crank etc been machined and I'm ready to put it all back together.

Would you recommend I get a new torque converter to be on the safe side?

It's a aftermarket converter from ATR (bought back in 1993) with 2500 stall I've been told.

My setup is:

Stock turbo
42.5 lb injectors
ported stock heads
Ross forged pistons
H-beam forged conrods
stock crank but cut undersize
Comp cam roller cam and roller lifters along with beehive springs
1.6 ratio Harland sharp roller rockers
high volume oil pump (front cover)
fuel regulator
Walbro 340 with hotwire kit (Racetronix kit)
K&N filter setup

Otherwise it's pretty much stock.

Transmission also got a shift kit and some heavy duty parts I've been told.

What you recommend type of converter, I'm not racing just a good strong setup for the street (and some obvious street light racing :-))

With your combo, I'd get a 2800-3000 stall. It'll make your stock turbo spool like crazy and it has room to grow to bigger turbo if you ever want to. That link worked for me, the home page is FULL THROTTLE SPEED - Store Front Page maybe try it again. He's go a bunch of convertors to choose from. You need some drag radials with more convertor though, but it's worth it.

With your combo, I'd get a 2800-3000 stall. It'll make your stock turbo spool like crazy and it has room to grow to bigger turbo if you ever want to. That link worked for me, the home page is FULL THROTTLE SPEED - Store Front Page maybe try it again. He's go a bunch of convertors to choose from. You need some drag radials with more convertor though, but it's worth it.

I looked at the different converters, most of them seems to start at 3000 rpm ...

Whats the advantage of the 10" converters?

Any disandvantage (on the street) running a 3000 stall with my setup?

Would you recommend I get a new torque converter to be on the safe side?

Absolutely.

The stock D5 is great for a stock turbo. You dont need anything fancy. If anything a simple 12 inch "orange stripe" from the Buick vendors will be fine.. even if your turbo is a TA49, TE44, Gt3255, TE60, etc.

Make sure the splines on the input shaft and stator of your tranny are in good condition.

Absolutely.

The stock D5 is great for a stock turbo. You dont need anything fancy. If anything a simple 12 inch "orange stripe" from the Buick vendors will be fine.. even if your turbo is a TA49, TE44, Gt3255, TE60, etc.

Make sure the splines on the input shaft and stator of your tranny are in good condition.

Julio, would this one work fine you think and be a good one if I do upgrade the turbo at some point? Stall is 3000 is that too high?
FULL THROTTLE SPEED - Item Description Page

That is fine.

You really cannot get 3000 out of a 12 inch. But it sure does help sell it tho.

Typically the stock one is 2400.. modded 12 inch converters will stall out at 2800.. and they call them 3000 :)

Do I just pull the converter straight out of the tranny to remove it so I can check the input shaft and stator or is there a special way I need to remove it? Got the tranny out of the car.

Also will a lot of tranny fluid come out when I remove the convertor?

Pull it straight out. That sucker is heavy tho. Yes a little fluid will come out :mad:

Then inspect the splines. Make sure they are not chewed up. The stator is known for getting chewed up.

Torque converter

I am in the process of pulling my transmission to change the torque converter. The thing I noticed after unbolting the torque converter from the flex plate is that there is no play between the flex plate and the torque converter.

We put a 9/11 torque converter in my sons turbo Buick and we shimmed between the torque converter and the flex plate because he thought the torque converter had too much movement from front to back after the transmission was reinstalled.

I do not know all the history on my car but I do know that Pontiac rebuilt the motor in my TTA because of a torque converter problem.

My tag on the transmission says TA F and the torque converter that I am removing is stamped with the number 5 all around front edge, the same place that a buick torque is stamped D5. Does anyone know if both the transmission and torque converter are the stock pieces?

Jan, my advice is to replace the torque converter and do not gamble.

James Armbrust

Pull it straight out. That sucker is heavy tho. Yes a little fluid will come out :mad:

Then inspect the splines. Make sure they are not chewed up. The stator is known for getting chewed up.

Got it out and yes that one is heavy, planning on getting the new one next month when I'm out in TX (order the one from fullthrottlespeed.com... will be a heavy suitcase this time :biggrin:

Checket the stator and shaft splines and they look like new pretty much, no discoloration no shavings nothing so should not have to touch the tranny more than new oil and filter.

The one I have currently is a D5 with Conley's written on it with a marker pen (converter used to be white looks like) .... there's something else written on it as well that I can't make out.

I am in the process of pulling my transmission to change the torque converter. The thing I noticed after unbolting the torque converter from the flex plate is that there is no play between the flex plate and the torque converter.

We put a 9/11 torque converter in my sons turbo Buick and we shimmed between the torque converter and the flex plate because he thought the torque converter had too much movement from front to back after the transmission was reinstalled.

I do not know all the history on my car but I do know that Pontiac rebuilt the motor in my TTA because of a torque converter problem.

My tag on the transmission says TA F and the torque converter that I am removing is stamped with the number 5 all around front edge, the same place that a buick torque is stamped D5. Does anyone know if both the transmission and torque converter are the stock pieces?

Jan, my advice is to replace the torque converter and do not gamble.

James Armbrust
You have the stock tranny and convertor. The tag is correct and I just looked at my stock convertor and it has 5 stamped on it.

Jason

Back