You can type here any text you want

NEWBIE - 1st start and run in 7 + years = Brake Light on

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

seedling

Hi folks, this car has been sitting for 7-8 years. So I followed the whole "Spring Cleaning" as was suggested herein! And in doing so I learned a few things about the car. And hopefully you all can tell me where to go from here!

BRAKE LIGHT ON:
The brake light is lit up in the dash and the pedal is kind of hard, however I took it for a short spin since I live in the country. But I didn't get on it much as the tires are flat spotted bad and the whole limited pedal thing really scares me. Does this sound like power master failure to you?

I have been contemplating a seemingly more sought after Hydro Boost System. However, I was just wondering if there a fail safe on the Hydro Boost systems? In other words what happens if the power steering pump fails, do you lose your brakes and your steering or what? If so then I may opt for the vacuum system instead (no brakes is not an alternative in this car)!

Any feedback is welcome and appreciated!! As I'm all ears!! Thanks Guys!!

When was the last time you heard of a power steering pump failing? You have brakes but pedal effort is definately more. I have had the tensioner fail on two Chevy trucks with hb. You can stop but you have no power steering and no power brakes. Vacuum might be better but you still have no power steering if the tensioner, belt or any accessory fails and the belt is "thrown".

I like my hydroboost. Better than pm and more assist than vacuum imo. When I get that far, my GS will have hb.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

LOL! Thanks for the response TexasT!

It's kind of funny you should ask that though! Because believe it or not, I just helped a buddy of mine change the steering box and pump on an old CJ-7 this past weekend!

Sorry, I guess the question was sort of off for a Turbo Buick though!

It's just that I am pretty big rock crawler fan / Jeep enthusiasts for a number of years now. And that is why I even asked that question, I guess I had Jeep on the brain! Meaning that with over-sized tires come over-sized steering pump issues (translated pumps boiling fluid and the like). So I guess I just sort of forgot where I was at, sorry! Because believe it or not losing a steering pump can be a fairly common affair in the Jeep World! Especially on one that has gone full hydro (whilst still using the factory pump)! <<NOT GOOD!>>

At any rate, point taken (it doesn't happen much in the Turbo Buick world)! And then if it does then I still have brakes! So I'm good with that! Again thanks for the response and the help! And please bear with my silly newbie questions (but in my mind that was a real point of contention)! So thanks for not flaming me while still helping me clear up my DUH Moment!! LOL!

Vacuum brakes are virtually foolproof. There is no mechanical link to anything engine driven other than.....vacuum. The booster holds enough vacuum in reserve for a stop even if the engine shuts off. Personally I think it is the safest way to go. The right master cylinder will give you plenty of boost holding power. But, to each his own. Your decision is your decision and it is your money to spend as you wish.

Most hydro boost systems have a accumulator for reserve braking if engine dies.

Rick

As Mr Larkin states, you pays your money and you takes your chances. You got me on the ps pump failures, though I've not had a jeep I'm sure when the pump is asked to move four times the volume to run a hydraulic cylinder the fluid might get heated and the pump fail. I've not seen it but can see how that might happen.
As far as an accumulator goes, it doesn't go far. On the trucks you get a pedal or two and you are in manual brake land in my experience.
My choice was made because I could use the pm pedal. I know that seems inconsequential but it was one less thing I had to source for my swap.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Thanks for the info and the response, John Larkin, Turbo BuRick and Texas T! Well, it seems as though I have some goal setting to do. So that I can figure out which way to take this car! In that, it is also running 20lbs of boost as well and I have no idea how to turn it down either! And although I plan on buying a chip, however I need to sort through the injector thing as well. In that, it has stock injectors and now a stock fuel pump as well. So I have to decide what to do and which way to go before I hurt the car!

I do find it weird that this car was a daily driver some 7-8 years ago and now that I have pulled the bubble wrap back it has all of these crazy drive-ability issues! By that I mean the whole chip and too much boost, etc.! At any rate, I appreciate the advice and I'm not even going to attempt to trouble shoot the power master. As it just scares me all the way around!

I like the idea of the hydro holding power. However, I like the simplicity of the vacuum set up and I am very familiar with it! (I had no idea these cars even had such an animal as the Power Master)! Although mine won't have it for long now I can assure you of that! I will say that in pricing the parts to make the two swaps that I don't see much difference overall! That is, if I went with the Astro Van set up and all. Again thanks so much guys (I am learning a lot here)!! So share all you like as I'm a sponge soaking it all up!!

You can buy a N/A Gbody pedal and vacuum brakes for a Monte carlo. I am currently awaiting on my parts to arrive so I can convert to vacuum. Less than $200 in the whole conversion. I didn't price Hydro boost, however I can't imagine it being any less than vacuum. The safest thing for you to do is to get a Walbro fuel pump, hotwire kit, chip and injectors for Eric at Turbo Tweak. That and and Adjustable fuel pressure regulator. IMO that should be the base for you before you do anything else with your car. More or less a safety net. When I bought my car I wanted to go fast but am very thankful I took those steps first. Good luck and congrats.

Thanks so much BOOST N and T What? I'm thinking about buying the Caprice 12" dual diaphragm vacuum booster and all of that. As I want to add discs to the rear and up the size of the discs in the front as well. And I plan on upgrading the fuel system and the chip as well. As the car is pushing 20psi of boost right now (which freaks me out because it has stock injectors and I just slapped an el-cheapo 60psi Bosch fuel pump in the car to get it going). So I'm in a scary place right now, therefore even though she runs I'm not driving it and I have only WOT one time. And once I saw that crazy amount of boost I knew I needed to do something! Thanks again guys!!

Hi Guys,

A buddy of mine emailed a link on a ready made upgrade system (that appears to solve all of our would be braking woes). So I wanted to see if anyone has in fact tried the "Right Stuff" 4 Wheel Disc / Vacuum Conversion from summit racing? Not sure if it is against the rules to post up a link here or not? However, for $1,111.50 bones for a complete turn key kit I would think that is not bad at all. So if I am braking the rules here then my apologies (and mods by all means please remove the link)! If not I'd love to know if anyone has used this recipe on their car or no?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rsd-afxdc41csx/overview/

Back