You can type here any text you want

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

blackbox

Whats the difference between a stage 1, 2, and a TA motor. Also how much are these motors complete and the price just for the blocks. Im looking to build a high 9 mid to low 10 buick, that is reliable on the road.

Stage I & II Blocks were Buick Blocks. Cost for blocks by them selves are between $1500 to $3000 depending on condition.
It cost over $10,000 to build a complete short block w/forged crank & roller cam.

T/A Blocks are aftermarket,Made By T/A (makes since) cost for block $3900. More work for the machine shop to do,Which means more $$$. Your probably looking around $15,000 to build a complete short block w/forged crank & roller cam.

But the T/A is suposed to be able to handel a lot more Horse Power.

It all comes down to how FAST & how MUCH you wanna spend!

Good Luck on yor project!

Originally posted by BAGN
.........................T/A Blocks are aftermarket,Made By T/A (makes since) cost for block $3900. More work for the machine shop to do,Which means more $$$. Your probably looking around $15,000 to build a complete short block w/forged crank & roller cam............................................

There is no more machine work required on a TA block than a virgin stage block.:confused:

A used stage block can sometimes cost more in time and labor than the TA block. This is not an opinion, we have done a few of each blocks and know this from experience.:)

IMO if money was not the issue, I would build a TA Block. Most of the Stage stuff IMO is junk that is left. The TA block is built off the Stage engines some 15 years later with many improvements.

If money was a issue and I wanted a decent 10 sec ride, I would build a girdled 109 block.

Just my 2 cents, I looked at lots of Stage parts only to be disappointed in junk.

Good Luck.... :cool:

Originally posted by Nick Micale
There is no more machine work required on a TA block than a virgin stage block.:confused:

A used stage block can sometimes cost more in time and labor than the TA block. This is not an opinion, we have done a few of each blocks and know this from experience.:)

Not to mention that most stage 2 motors are used up,revved to 8k, ex-busch motors, and most are junk. The TA block is nice, shiny, and new.:D :cool: I agree with the machining part too, both are about the same. If you are looking for a stage 2, there is an oncenter 153 block, the nicest one of all the stage 2 blocks, on racingjunk for $1500. Good luck.:)

Richard Lee at Lee Performance has a new on center stage 2 block for about $3000. 951-674-8171
Jeff

Originally posted by Big Stu
If you are looking for a stage 2, there is an oncenter 153 block, the nicest one of all the stage 2 blocks, on racingjunk for $1500. Good luck.:)

It was for sale!!! :D

It's got a new owner now!!! :cool:

Nice, what other parts have you collected for your build. I might have some s2 valve covers for you laying around somewhere, I have more than a few sets.:)

What I have so far is, that block, bms 3.59 crank, set of h beam 4340 rods, and a bms hub.

I am not sure what I going to do for heads, but I am leaning towards a set of gn1s and using champion's on center efi intake. This engine is going to go into a street car that I would like to have it running in the high 9's.

I Know it will take a while to get this thing together, ... all I am looking to get done this year is a short block assembly less cam.

Same crank I have... my motor will be 276ci when done. I too have a sleeved block, the bore is 4.040. I have john's new, old stage 2 chapman ported heads, probably one of the nicest sets of heads ever for these motors. If I come across s2 parts, I'll let you know if you're looking.:)

thanks, I am sure as I get into building this engine that I will find other special parts that i will be needing. I know the oiling system is gonna be a "joy" to fab up.

Your block is 4.040 .... just how far can these engines be bored?

Originally posted by straycat990
thanks, I am sure as I get into building this engine that I will find other special parts that i will be needing. I know the oiling system is gonna be a "joy" to fab up.

Your block is 4.040 .... just how far can these engines be bored?

I have seen a couple 281's and one 283 that a guy was building, not sure if he ever finished his project though.

Re: what about me?

Originally posted by buickstage II
hey,
you can send some stage stuff to australia!!!!
:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

I will locate and send you whatever you need for the right amount of $$$$$.:D :eek:

Back