You can type here any text you want

newest findings

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TURBOELKY

well, these past 2 days off, i've been tinkering with my 81 sport coupe. Finally got the thing to run very very well, as in it boosts now :D I plan on following the carb set up on the gnttype.org page where the guy got the car into the 14's, that would be sweet. anybody ever tinker around with a holley carb or edelbrock carb and get good results? and if anybody has a good pick of their home made cold air intake, please post it. any other mods would be cool. This is just my work car, but I would like to get there on time more often :D

Did'nt Fred C have a Holly on that Olds? :rolleyes:

By the way dude, favor to ask. Due to a heated discussion and since you have a '81 turbo, can you trace the vac line from the brake Power booster and see were it bolts up to? Or does your '81 use Hydro-Boost II? :D

no problem

i'll check that vac. line later or tomorrow. Only if you can tell me how to hook up the map sensor. Does the vac line for it come off of the compressor housing? because I was told how, but I have a book that does not show,a pic is worth a million words!..maybe that will help the car out too???

This is an '83 turbo vac/schem were it shows just as in '80 were it goes.

(I also have an '81 N/A vac/schem which you can't use because it's differant).

See attached:

Attachments

• 83 VAC Diagram 2.jpg
    83 VAC Diagram 2.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 135
This is an '83 turbo vac/schem were it shows just as in '80 were it goes.

(I also have an '81 N/A vac/schem which you can't use because it's differant).

See attached:

Attachments

• 80 VAC Diagram.jpg
    80 VAC Diagram.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 72
  • 83 VAC Diagram 2.jpg
    83 VAC Diagram 2.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 72
Thanks

I presume my turbo has been off, some of the bolts have wrench marks on them, and there is a bolt in the compressor housing where the niplle the feeds the hose that goes to the map sensor belongs :eek: think it will run any better with the map on?
here is the return of your favor. The brake vaccume line comes off of the booster, ties into a metal tube that screws in right under the carb, facing the front of the car. Hope you won that battle :D let me know if you need a pic, i can take one if so.

The map T's into the wastegate actuator line(line comes off the compresser housing to the wastegate actuator), and yes it will run better.

?

I tried that, and the check engine light came on??? seems there are two provisionings for lines to come off the compressor housing???

?

I see it shows it t'n off of that line, on the 83 diagram, mine is more like the 80 diagram. this is why I have yet to fix it, i'm confused :confused:

I used to have a 79 sport coupe and I had a bunch of different vaccum diagrams, if I can find the '81 out in the pile tonight I'll let u know.

cool

thanks. I just want to get the map hooked back up, I tried t'ing into the actuator, the engine light comes on, but like I said, there is a bolt in the compressor housing that does not belong there, I figured that is where the map sensor connects to??? but thanks again if you find it, if not, thanks for the troubles of looking for it :cool:

pix of my cold air -I have posted before- :rolleyes:

Attachments

• cold air-2 (320 x 427).jpg
    cold air-2 (320 x 427).jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 134
Cold Air Intake

converted migwelder to weld aluminum :cool:It runs 14.80's :cool: at14psi boost

Attachments

• ram air-1 (467 x 350).jpg
    ram air-1 (467 x 350).jpg
    58 KB · Views: 127
No problem, if u happen to find any leads on a cheap running or non running carbed turbo car in my area let me know, like 100 to 500 bucks. Might sound crazy, but there's been a lot around here before in the range, just never have money when any kind of deal arises for anything.

Alright heres the skinny. The reason why you are having difficulties is because there is TWO DIFFERENT VAC DIAGRAMS FOR YOUR CAR! Here's the easiest way to do this. If you only have just 2 vac lines coming off your egr solenoid your map sensor goes straight to the compressor housing. If you have three coming off the solenoid and two of them should be t'd together, the map sensor goes strait to what appears to be its own vac port in the intake. If you have any more questions let me know.

usetaboost said:
Alright heres the skinny. The reason why you are having difficulties is because there is TWO DIFFERENT VAC DIAGRAMS FOR YOUR CAR! Here's the easiest way to do this. If you only have just 2 vac lines coming off your egr solenoid your map sensor goes straight to the compressor housing. If you have three coming off the solenoid and two of them should be t'd together, the map sensor goes strait to what appears to be its own vac port in the intake. If you have any more questions let me know.

What?? :confused:

usetaboost said:
......The reason why you are having difficulties is because there is TWO DIFFERENT VAC DIAGRAMS FOR YOUR CAR!.....

Let's start here....can you upload the pics? Might help. :)

Nothing gets vacuum from the intake on the turbos....it seems that all vacuum attachments begin at the plenum. So you must mean a direct MAPS line to the plenum...

Early compressor housing had two ports, while the later only had one. Not a big deal. If you only have one, the T into the other line. Both ports went to the same place. The MAP should be connected to any place along either line. As long as it gets connected the compressor somehow.

The MAP sensor should have a orange 'key' inside the electrical connection. It's a 2-bar to see pressure. It might have been replace with a blue-keyed 1-bar sensor.

I'd invest in a scan tool. Something like this should go for cheap (it only does up to 1985):
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OTC-...tegoryZ43989QQihZ008QQitemZ180031857146QQrdZ1
The grey adapter is for 1981 ECM's. You'll be able to see the output of the MAP sensor.

Back