NJ Emissions

murphster

Maybe someone can help me out here...

I'm just about to buy a car from out of state. 86 Turbo T. Here's the setup on the car:

No cat (THTP), Blue Top injectors, stock turbo with ported elbow, stock intercooler with Dutt neck, 3" downpipe, Thrasher 92 street chip, Walbro 340 FP, flowmaster catback, kenne bell ram air kit, 3" maf pipe , adjustable FP regulator.

My plans are to buy:
-a new 3" cat from Kirbans
-some Denso O2 sensors
-change the oil
-clean the air filter
-new R43TS plugs gapped .035

I may or may not be able to check everything on Turbolink before I run through inspection, as I only have 14 days from registration to get inspected. Do you think that is critical or should I just run it with the above and see what happens?

Other things that I've read that could make a difference are new plug wires, EGR valve, and EGR solenoid. Is there an easy way to make sure the EGR is working? Using Turbolink?

Anything I miss? Any help will be appreciated as this will be happening soon and I want to be prepared. Last, I could get an emissions chip, but it may take longer to get before my first inspection.

Thanks in advance
murph

Thrasher is an open loop chip, and if there is a idle test coupled with the dyno test, you will fail at idle. As long as the chip controls the EGR solenoid, then just make sure the passages are clear. With the key on engine running, raise the EGR pintle and the engine should stumble or die. This will confirm that EGR passages are clear. IMHO, do not replace your factory EGR valve with an aftermarket unit (especially the type that uses restriction washers). Most aftermarket EGR valves were not calibrated for a dynomometer type emissions test (or ever been put though the rigorious Federal Test Procedures test, like the automobile manufacturer).

chip

Would you recommend a stock chip? Or an aftermarket emissions chip? I would assume I could get a stock chip much quicker from many of the vendors. Not sure how long it takes to get an emissions chip from one of the custom chip-makers or if they have pre-burned chips for my combo. More than three weeks would be too long.

murph

a stock chip will probably too rich for those injectors. Jim Testa (TurboJim) could probably help you and he is in NJ.

Blue tops are a very good and close to stock "acting" injector. Using a good closed loop chip (from anyone) I dont see why you should have any problem with emissions. Dyno or static tests. A working cat will make everything easier, but between you me and the wall, you can probably pass without one. No, I didnt say that, nor do I advocate it, its just when I started doing ASM tests, I played with my TR and got it to pass with no problems. That was with a stock long block, front mount, TE61, 50's and no cat. Took no real tweaking of the cip. Just the car in a good state of tune.

Originally posted by TurboJim
Blue tops are a very good and close to stock "acting" injector. Using a good closed loop chip (from anyone) I dont see why you should have any problem with emissions. Dyno or static tests. A working cat will make everything easier, but between you me and the wall, you can probably pass without one. No, I didnt say that, nor do I advocate it, its just when I started doing ASM tests, I played with my TR and got it to pass with no problems. That was with a stock long block, front mount, TE61, 50's and no cat. Took no real tweaking of the cip. Just the car in a good state of tune.

So you think if I get my brother's car (87 T) tuned up (it's bone stock) and run it through with the stock chip I'd have a shot at passing? No cat, just a test pipe.

I know a guy who will put a sticker on it whether it passes or not, but I'd like to do it on the up-n-up (plus he's a little pricey).

Thanks,
Jim

I'd recommend at least a hollow cat for the visual, but yea, in good tune, I dont think it would be a pronlem

Originally posted by TurboJim
I'd recommend at least a hollow cat for the visual, but yea, in good tune, I dont think it would be a pronlem

Cool - I'll give it a whirl. The local guy won't look under it and even if he did he wouldn't care as long as it passed the sniffer. If it fails, I'll have it "corrected".

Jim

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

I'll update everything after the inspection.

This thing is fun on the road! :D

Tomorrow I plan on removing the tint from the windows and turning down the boost some. I'm running straight 93 now but I think there is a gas station nearby that sells Sunoco 100 octane. I'm also keeping an eye for a local place that sells racing gas, but that will wait until after emissions.

The car runs like a champ! I can't imagine what it will do to the radials when I put them on, it barely holds with the ET Streets.

I should be getting the cat soon and doing the emissions next week. Wish me luck.

Originally posted by murphster

Tomorrow I plan on removing the tint from the windows and turning down the boost some. I'm running straight 93 now but I think there is a gas station nearby that sells Sunoco 100 octane. I'm also keeping an eye for a local place that sells racing gas, but that will wait until after emissions.

The car runs like a champ! I can't imagine what it will do to the radials when I put them on, it barely holds with the ET Streets.

I should be getting the cat soon and doing the emissions next week. Wish me luck.

Where in NJ are you? There's a Sunoco near my house that sells 100 Octane - it's on Rt. 46 in Ledgewood.

Jim

Originally posted by murphster

Glad it went to a good home1:)

Where in NJ are you? There's a Sunoco near my house that sells 100 Octane - it's on Rt. 46 in Ledgewood.

Sorry, didn't see this before. I'm on the Jersey shore, near Red Bank, Asbury Park etc. I haven't found 100 octane yet, and the web says the nearest one is about 25min away.

Unfortunately the cat I got won't be a direct fit. I'm trying to get an adaptor made so I can put the test pipe back on pretty easily. Nearing gave me a hollow cat with the car that fits right on and I'm trying to put the flange from that cat onto the new cat. Without that I may have to weld the cat on to get it to fit, not really what I want to do.

The downpipe looks like it was modified so that the test pipe and hollow cat could bolt right on. Theres not much left on the downpipe that is straight for the cat to slide in to.

Nearing, tint is removed and I put the new shocks on. A lot better. I'm thinking of ordering new wheels. I'll post the info in the suspension forum.

murph

Update

Great news! I passed emissions no problem.

The only things I did to the car was put on a new cat from Poston's, changed the O2 sensor with a new Bosch, and had the oil changed. I didn't change the plugs wires or plugs because the car has been running great (I'll change them in the spring). The only other thing is that the last tank was almost pure 100 Octane Unleaded. Turns out the a Sunoco only 13 miles away sells it.

Here are my results:

GAS Standard Reading

NOx 1146 153
HC 152 60
CO% 0.86 0.08
CO2% 14.9
O2% 0.2

Now all I have to do is put the test pipe back on. Six simple bolts, probably 10 minutes. ;)

-murph

Just wanted to add that I also drove the car around for about 25min before the inspection, mostly on the highway at 70mph or so. Just to make sure everything was nice and hot.

-murph