NJ Requires Letter Now For Collector Car Registration

buickrob

Get this story:eek:

I've had 2 GN's, the current once since 2001. The current car has been registered as a Collector Vehicle in NJ for the last two years which allows it to be exempt from inspection. I need to renew my registration but also need to re-apply for collector vehicle status because a year ago I switched the title from my father's name to mine.

I'm fine with that, totally understand I am technically a new owner of the car and need to re-apply. Thing is, now all applications after 9-2007 require a letter from the manufacturer or a "recognized" car club stating the car is a limited edition. How the heck can I get that? Apparently needs to be on letterhead too so I can't print anything from thet net.

:eek: uh oh

Do you have it insured as a classic car? If so, you might be able to contact your insurance company and request this info from them. Let us know how you make out.

Ted

It is insured as collectable limited use. The state wants too see that in addition to the Manufacturer/Car Club. MAGNA could do pretty good charging $20 per letter :)

I've found it easier to just get the cars inspected than deal with all the new rules. The new rules also state that all emissions and safety equipment must be present and functional even though the vehicle does not require inspections.

More info: http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/pdf/Vehicles/FACT_SHEET-Collector_Car_Status.pdf

I actually have a cat:biggrin: Shouldn't have any problems there or with saftey but I'm thinking you maybe right about just getting an inspection.

Wow, I'm blown away. I called MVC just now and got a guy who knew about the Collectable Vehicle program and even Grand Nationals. He pretty much said don't worry about it for our cars, Grand Nationals are recognized as collectable. I'm going to send in the application with a print out of the production numbers from gnttype.org just to add a little insurance. Seems like it might work out for us Buick guys. I was reading some other forums where Camaro/Firebird guys were getting rejected though.

Beat me to it.. The folks at our MVC know what a GN/T is... He told me that the reason for the change was "everyone" trying to register any old car as a collector..ie: the 1984 Cavalier in the driveway, old Dodge Omni, etc etc....Sent mine off a while back no problems!

New Jersey

because of stuff like that I moved about 15 years ago... I still get to listen to my parents whine about $7500.00 in property tax every year, this keeps me from ever moving back up north:D

7500 in property taxes is a good deal here now :(

The new refund last year and MVC today made up for it though :D