No start

nova

Hey all,
Been about 10 years since I've really done much with my '87 TR. It turned into a daily (100+ mi. a day) driver about 4 years ago.
Last year I started to get a miss cruising down the freeway. Not very noticeable and only happened very sporadically. Did not affect overall performance of the car, most people would not have even noticed. Well this miss has gotten progressively worse over the last couple months. The last three weeks it has just about been to the point where I could not hardly even touch the gas pedal without it missing and stumbling. At this point my first thought was it's gotta be the MAF, swapped it out and no change. Second thought, maybe O2 sensor. Swapped it out and no change. Hmmm both of those parts are fairly cheap so.... not a big deal.

Move ahead another week. Still running the same, no codes, nuthin. Got home last night, pulled into the garage, idled for a couple minutes, shut it down and went in the house. Got up this morning and no start. Got fuel pressure, started looking around, everything looks OK. Started pulling plug wires off the coil pack, 5 of 6 posts looked brand new, number 6 did not. Ok, found the problem. Swapped out the coil pack and... still no start.

So that's the extent of my spare parts and my story. No one around has an ignition module in stock and that is my best guess as to what is wrong. Car has 157,000 miles on it and the module is the original.

I'm about down to my last two options.
1 - Have the car towed to the local dealer (I'm pretty sure no one there has ever worked on one of these cars.
2 - Just order a new coil pack and ignition module on the hunch that the module is the most likely candidate.

This is my only transportation at this time, so unfortunately I do not have time to mess around. What are everyone thoughts?

Could be the ignition module like you are thinking,i've had one go out like that before.

But you won't know for sure until you do some troubleshooting / testing.

Most of the auto parts stores can test the ignition module for you for free.

Where are you located? Maybe there are some members close to you that can help out.

Here is a link that may help with finding the problem it has a good troubleshooting section and other good info as well.

Vortex Turbo Buick Performance

I'd have to concur with the above. That's what mine was doing when the module was getting ready to give up. Advance Auto tested it and it was bad. I'd take it off, get it tested and then order one on the web if it is bad.

Well, I live in Northern Utah. A friend of mine, Jason Cramer, is probably the closest. He lives about 100 miles away give or take a little.

I'll be pleasantly surprised if any of the auto parts stores around here have a tester. Maybe NAPA?

I took the car in to the local Buick dealer the other day hoping for a $35 diagnostic, they did not have any equipment for an OBD I car, it was broken and they did not bother to get it repaired. Did not try the local GMC dealer.

Sad you do not have the parts to fix it on hand.

If the module is black, then it is the original. Those aftermarket modules are normally silver, or bare aluminum.

If your original module is bad, it can fry a coil, get a new module for it and see if the car runs.

If the check engine light does not come on when you turn the key on, then the orange ecm wire is corroded inside the positive battery connector.

Good luck

BW

Yes, the check engine light comes on when the key switch is turned on.
Yes, it is the original module.

A new ignition module... and she fired right up. ;)