No Thermostat

Just curious if anyone tried to run without a thermostat. Does it make a difference in water temps or how it runs?

Not on my GN. On my old Torino it would run hot with no stat. Reason being is that the coolant would flow so fast that it did not have time to cool in the radiator. If you want to try, get a stat and gut it. Clip the center out and use that.

if you really want to increase flow, you can just take a stock stat and drill a few holes in the surround.

no clue why you'd even want to do this though.

Cant say for the v6's but on sbc's if u knock the center out it flows freely but restricts it enough that it still cools. I do this on my 406 and it helps run a little cooler.

2112 said:
Just curious if anyone tried to run without a thermostat. Does it make a difference in water temps or how it runs?
I think it would work but ......
The car would take longer to heat up, and get into closed loop. It would essentially run rich longer, reduce cylinder wall lubrication, and increase the wear of the rings and cylinder walls.
Try it and let us know.

I wouldnt do it as the pressure can be too much. If you want get a restrictor which is basically an always open thermostat.

Get a good radiator and fan. Don't rig it with no thermostat. You don't want the motor to run cooler than 160 anyway for several reasons. With a decent radiator and fan, mine stays no higher than 170 all summer long and usually runs right on the thermostat at 160.

No

The ECM looks @ water temp. to perform more than 1 function. Not the least of which is lock the torque convertor.

Lee Thompson said:
The ECM looks @ water temp. to perform more than 1 function. Not the least of which is lock the torque convertor.
Learn something on this board EVERY DAY!

why even bother drilling out an existing thermostat.
for all the hassle it would be, you could buy a 160 degree stat for no more then 10 dollars usually

if you are running hot then maybe you need to recore the radiator or possibly look into electric fans.

i have a recored stock radiator with electric fans, and i dont see over 175 on the hottest of michigan days. which might be the low 90s

i just so happen to have a extra ramchargers fan in my garage if interested :D lol