You can type here any text you want

Not your typical ricer kill...

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

jturner

I'll start this off by saying that this was not in a TR (had to sell mine :( ) and it wasn't even in my Park Avenue Ultra, so those purists who only want to read TR related kills may want to skip this one, but those who want to read a rather amusing ricer kill, please read on...

I'll reveal what I was driving at the end -- the suspense makes the story better (no looking ahead).

This morning, I pulled up to a light next to a bright red Civic with a coffee can exhaust, the fancy Type R emblem, and a handful of other emblems. The driver had on fingerless leather driving gloves and acted like he was the fastest thing on the road. I must admit that he seemed to take good care of his car -- my rather dingy yellow and black paint job was reflecting nicely off his freshly waxed red paint.

I decided to see if I could put this guy in his place, so I brought the rpms up and felt the engine strain against the brakes. When the light turned green, I released the brakes and floored the gas. I lunged ahead by about 2 Honda-lengths and the only thing I could hear over the roar of my 4-inch exhaust was the sound of his buzz-saw engine and coffee can exhaust. He managed to gain back about 2 feet, but then we stayed that way until I pulled out upon reaching the speed limit. It was a short, but difinitive victory, and the bright red ricer limped away with his tail tucked.

I showed him who was boss, not in a TR, and not in my supercharged Park Avenue Ultra, but in my daily driver...

A 1990...

7.1 liter...

170 hp...

340 ft. lbs. of torque...

yellow and black...

school bus!! :)

PLEASE NOTE: I did NOT have students on board (I was going to refuel my 4 mpg behemoth), and I did not exceed the speed limit (45 mph), nor did I break any laws during the above incident.

Another note for the cynics out there: I can't say for sure that he was giving it his all, but it sounded like he was winding the engine up pretty high.

hahahah thats so crazy. insanity lol

LMFAOx2....honestly if you pulled up to my Z like that I wouldn't have even acknowledged your presence..maybe revv back but definatly not have launced!

ROTFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thats the funniest thing i've heard in a long time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've alwaysw wanted to see how good a school bus runs. as loud as the turbo is with normal driving i'd like to just hear it a wot. racing gloves huh? i've been known to wear mechanics gloves on cold mornings, but never to help me race:rolleyes:.....

Nice! What kind of motor in there? I'm going to guess International T444E based on the displacement cause the DT466E is something like 230hp if I am not mistaken and I think most school buses still used are Internationals or Blue Birds.

Wow! You sure know your busses. Bluebird put it together, but it says International on the front grill. I got the specs from the owner's manual. It is normally aspirated, so no turbo whine. :( I know all of our '98 and above engines are Mercedes turbo diesels (built by Thomas). They have a lot more power than mine does. It was interesting when I found out the power ratings, because the first thing I thought of was that my GN could have pulled the bus up a hill faster than the bus could go on it's own power! Now there's an engine swap project for some enterprising person -- a GN engine in a school bus. There's lots of room under the hood. The possibilities are endless.

Must be an older version of the current Mercedes-Benz MBE900 motor that comes in either 4.25L I-4 or 6.37L I-6. Judging by the 170hp, I'd say it's most likely the I-4 motor because the current MBE904-170 produces 170hp and 420lb-ft @ 1400 rpm. Thomas is apparently owned by DaimlerChrysler which also owns Freightliner and Blue Bird, all of which put together, make the bus. I guess in 1990, International made the body and Freightliner took over. Which style do you have, Type C which has a hood in front of the windshield or Type A without a separate hood in front?

Back