nuta & bolts

Utah Blaine

This forum has changed since I was last here!

To the point........took the engine out of the car and sent it to the machine shop. Getting it ready to put back in and need some bolts: converter to flex, water pump to timing cover, bell to block, and intake manifold to heads. When I took these off they were really mixed and matched. Yes even converter to flex plate. TA has some but not all. Want original if possible. Any ideas? Thanks

The intake manifold to head bolts are cupped or concave on top if that helps you sort through your pile of bolts. The bolt nearest the HEI distributor is a button head with in internal hex for clearance.

Thanks Rich. I know where all the bolts go it's that they are rusty like. I thought maybe new ones would be better. I did notice the hex and wondered about it. When you said clearance it hit me. I have one bolt that goes in the crank to hold the flex plate that is different from the others, and one odd one that holds the converter to the flex.
One other thing, when I pulled the water pump off water came from one of the bolt holes. Is that normal?

The long water pump bolts go through the front cover into the water passages in the block. Normal for water to come out the lower bolts even after draining the radiator.

Thanks all!
I got new water pump bolts from TA Gene. How do I get in touch with coach and earl brown. I still need the three bolts that hold the torque converter to the flex plate. Need those real bad.

morgsie, I live way out in the country. I have no idea where to get the bolts recoated & stripped. I had to take the block and heads 45 miles to the nearest machine shop and it was in the small town of Stephenville TX. Abilene is 68 miles away and it's second place.

ek02, yea that's how I found the water after it had all been drained out and was taking the water pump off lol. I had no idea what was going on. I told the guy at the machine shop what happened and he said that was common on that engine. I got lucky that back in the 80"s he used to work on the 231 turbo engines. He does a lot of racing engines from all over the place. Mine is just a stock like rebuild.

Thanks all.

I found Earl Brown on EBay and only saw football stuff. Typed in the search and came up with all kind of flex plate bolts. Thanks for the suggestion.