You can type here any text you want

O2 sensor Question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Esasky's85GN

RACE ME WITH WHAT?
Gents,

Got a question for you. I had my Turbolink hooked up on the car last night. All signals were reading except for my O2 volts. No voltage was present. I have a heated O2 sensor in the car that is brand new. I had a buddy help me out with wiring and I think he mistakenly put a 12 volt signal to my O2 sensor. (those plug for the O2 sensor and 12 volt battery are identical!) Anyways, what are your guys thoughts? You think the O2 is dead now? Car is running a little rich and Air/fuel gage is kind leaning towards lean more than it should. As always, feedback is appreciated!

Thanks,

Chris

Clerify, You say the Air Fuel gauge is showing more lean than rich, but you also say the O2 is putting out no voltage?? :confused:

But if the O2 sensor was hit with 12v instead of the heater it may have damaged the sensor

The gage is leaning towards the lean condition more but I have the gage tied into the feed wire off of the ECU. The turbolink system is verifying the voltage through the ALDL connector.

That is what I am thinking. One would assume that I should see the voltage through the Turbolink. A/F gage works but like I mentioned, it is getting its signal straight from the ECU feed.

Thoughts sir?

An o2 sensor works on a 1 volt scale, and it produces its own voltage. If 12 volts was applied it may have destoryed the sensor.

What are you using as an AFR monitor? I hope it's not one of those gauges that gets its info from the o2 sensor. You need a true WB to know how rich/lean the car is really running.

IMO, get rid of the heated o2 sensor and just run a regular one-wire AC Delco or Denso sensor. I haven't had problems with the Bosch o2 sensors as others have. I don't see any reason to run a heated narrow-band sensor. All it does is get up to temperature quicker so that closed loop comes in faster. Plus, it's unnecessary clutter.

Thats what I thought. I think it killed ther sensor.

I think I am going to take your advice and dump the heated O2 sensor. No reason for it other than mentioned.

I will keep you guys posted!

Thanks for the help!

Chris

Back