You can type here any text you want

Odometer just quit

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

pvt num 11

Finally driving it
I always reset the travel odometer when I top off, so I can figure out how crummy my gas mileage is (I average 19 to 20 MPG). However, 14.6 miles after I did that, I guess it gave up the ghost and neither odometer spins anymore. Resetting the travel odometer didn't do anything but reset it, still won't spin. I guess I can drive the crud out of the car now and sell it with "only" 108087 miles, but I'd rather be honest and fix it. My speedometer still works, which confuses me a bit. Well, actually, that lets me know that it isn't the cable's fault, it has to be something in the gauge cluster. Anyone else ran into this problem? DO we have an electric speedo, or is it still mechanical? (My beater '87 Firebird was mechanical.) Is it a total pain to get the gauge cluster out of the dash? (The '87 was sort of a pain, but not impossible.)

And yeah, I was joking about selling the car, it just irks me that I don't have a working odometer anymore. :mad:

Welcome to the club :-) I had this as well a while back and fot a couple of "free" miles out of it, luckily I got a couple of spare clusters and swapped the small electrical motor that drives the odometer over from one of my GTA clusters.

You will have to remove the complete cluster, take out the speedo gauge and on the back there is 2 screws holding the small electrical motor in place so you can replace it.

If you go to a junk yard and grab the lowest milage cluster you can find out of a 86 to 92 Firebird, TA, GTA with the electrical speedo and you can use it, not matter if it's from a V6 or V8 car.

If you need some more help let me know

Oh, lovely. I'll have to go find a parts car now... and rip out TWO gauge clusters... At least I had practice awhile back.

Back