Oil Blowing Out the Breathers...

cdub

I Want to Go Fast
So I have a ton of oil being blown out of the VC breathers, this is not the "typical" amount of oil these engines are known to get in/out of the breathers. Here are the pertinent facts:

1 - Only happens while driving/under load, does not happen in the garage @ 5-6k RPM
2 - It is not the PCV Valve - blocked it off and tested it, issue was still there
3 - It is not ring blow - each cylinder has been pressurized with 150 psi of shop air and show no signs of leakage
4 - It is not the head gasket - same reason as #3
5 - The car drives/feels great, there are no drivability issues
6 - I had ~1k miles on the new engine before this issue showed up.
7 - This started happening on the drive home from Cottons where I had a 3" DP, 44mm external WG and 2.5" SS exhaust system installed.

I am in now way insinuating that install at Cottons caused the issue, just stating that a major upgrade/change occurred just before this issue occurred for the first time. Brian did an excellent job.

The only thing I can think of currently is that Brian @ Cottons mentioned that since the WG port on my turbo (GT6131) had some overlap with the WG port on the DP, I might get some boost creep unless I had the port on the turbo ported to match the DP. Is there anyway this could be the culprit?

Is there anything else turbo related that I missed that might be causing this? My engine builder is certain that the turbo is somehow causing this but I don't see how.

Thanks in advance.

Did smoke test this morning and there was some smoke getting out at the intake gasket, so I'm assuming that if it can get out at normal atmospheric pressure, under 15-17 lbs of boost, there is significant leak.

Going to pull the intake manifold off and replace the gaskets using "The Right Stuff" gasket sealer & new fel-pro gaskets all the way around.

9 times out of 10 if its coming out of the breathers under boost your head gaskets are leaking,If they are,It will rear its ugly head worse in due time.

150# test might not be adequate for a slight head gasket leak to find.
you probably have close to 159 cranking compression and adding 15+ # may be the difference.

IF you find nothing wrong with the intake gasket,Apply air to the cylinders and watch at the head to block seam while the intake gasket is off.

9 times out of 10 if its coming out of the breathers under boost your head gaskets are leaking,If they are,It will rear its ugly head worse in due time.

150# test might not be adequate for a slight head gasket leak to find.
you probably have close to 159 cranking compression and adding 15+ # may be the difference.

IF you find nothing wrong with the intake gasket,Apply air to the cylinders and watch at the head to block seam while the intake gasket is off.

Well it was really unregulated shop air so it was closer to 210#'s than 150#'s, I think if it was the head gasket, it would have showed up then.

The intake gasket didn't show any obvious signs of a problem, I am going to put a new fel-pro one and use some "The Right Stuff' RTV on it this time so I can be 100% sure that it won't be leaking when I get the intake back on.

Damn, whos got a compressor that pumps out 210#s!!
Air tools must be wicked there:D

I've found my breather under real hard long boost runs won't "blow" out but it definatley gets soaked and eventually drips on the header. I've attested this more to the design of the breather than being blown out. I took it off and noticed that it's a straight shot from the center hole up to the breather filter. I'd think some sort of diverter plate or a fine screen to prevent oil from splashing up and soaking the filter would eliminate alot of the filter soak I've experienced.

While this won't solve any issues it will help stop the puking, the Edelbrock breathers fit our valve covers and have a flap inside them that will smack the oil back while still open to breath. It's like a half open beer. :biggrin:

Best part is they are $8 through Summit. :cool:

While this won't solve any issues it will help stop the puking, the Edelbrock breathers fit our valve covers and have a flap inside them that will smack the oil back while still open to breath. It's like a half open beer. :biggrin:

Best part is they are $8 through Summit. :cool:

whats the part # gnvyus

Had the same problem, and tried everthing, i even got the breather filter extender with the elbow it still splashed out. Anyway i took a coke can cut it open laid it over the hole the breather sticks in, cut out a peice of the can that would fit in the hole where the breather go in, and made a small slice in the can to let air escape, and no more leak! Only thing is when under a load the car make a sound like my 03 Cobra when the air is coming out, sound kinda cool:biggrin: .

Replaced the intake gasket with a new fel-pro gasket and used "The right stuff" RTV on it this time - issue appears to be fixed. Took it out last night and put i though the paces, no signs of oil at all now.

Keeping my fingers crossed that it keeps.