You can type here any text you want

Oil coming out of valve cover breather on drivers side?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

LEGACY_GN

While idleing I am getting a steady drip from the valve cover breather on drivers side. I mean right after I start it, not having driven it or got any boost, just idle. What could be causing that?

maybe, check pcv valve and hose. Smell the oil for fuel. To be sure you can do a leakdown test.

Doesn't burn oil and had 160 lbs of compression. Is the check valve maybe causing it?

yeah, could be the check valve, that's what I meant by checking the pcv. The simple way of doing that is removing the pcv and blowing in it to make sure it doesn't leak bye, which would pressurize the crankcase under boost. But I'd start simple, clean the breathers to make sure they aren't so saturated with oil that a little "breathing" causes them to leak out. This is a common problem with these cars, usually under boost and high rpm's the oil splashes up and soaks the breathers. That's why some people make those tall drain back breathers for the drivers side. 160 lbs of compression is good for head gasket, but doesn't mean the rings are good. I had 160-165 on all cylinders with bad rings and bad blow by before my rebuild. However it was like 45% on the worst cylinder on the leak-down. If you do a leakdown just make sure you get right on top dead center for good results. But this is why you need to do both tests to diagnose what's going on with the engine without opening it up. But like I said, start simple.

yeah, could be the check valve, that's what I meant by checking the pcv. The simple way of doing that is removing the pcv and blowing in it to make sure it doesn't leak bye, which would pressurize the crankcase under boost. But I'd start simple, clean the breathers to make sure they aren't so saturated with oil that a little "breathing" causes them to leak out. This is a common problem with these cars, usually under boost and high rpm's the oil splashes up and soaks the breathers. That's why some people make those tall drain back breathers for the drivers side. 160 lbs of compression is good for head gasket, but doesn't mean the rings are good. I had 160-165 on all cylinders with bad rings and bad blow by before my rebuild. However it was like 45% on the worst cylinder on the leak-down. If you do a leakdown just make sure you get right on top dead center for good results. But this is why you need to do both tests to diagnose what's going on with the engine without opening it up. But like I said, start simple.

What a great, thorough answer... nice! :) Check the PCV first, and the check valve is not necessary if the PCV is right/good...

drip

if it does this after start up and at idle that means your oil pressure is high -60-80 psi :eek: just a simple test would be to check your drain back hole in the head ,just remove the valve cover and take a look ..:biggrin:

While idleing I am getting a steady drip from the valve cover breather on drivers side. I mean right after I start it, not having driven it or got any boost, just idle. What could be causing that?

It's coming out of the cap, or at the base of the breather neck? If it's coming out the base could it be a bad rubber seal there, or maybe the neck is not in tight enough? I've heard you can bend the tabs on the neck to lock to the valve cover tighter.

It's coming out of the cap, or at the base of the breather neck? If it's coming out the base could it be a bad rubber seal there, or maybe the neck is not in tight enough? I've heard you can bend the tabs on the neck to lock to the valve cover tighter.

No, it's dripping from the breather, 3 inches high.

Back