You can type here any text you want

Oil filter bypass quandary solved!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

turbokinetic

Decided to do something about the filter bypass, and decided to go with an internal-bypass filter cartridge. Problem was I couldn't find any cartridges that fit my engine. The problem it has is shown below.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/tu...ng-system-repairs-modification-questions.html

Well my quandary has been solved with the oil filter bypass on the FWD Buick Turbo hybrid. The original system had a low-pressure bypass in the filter mounting base, which was positioned so any large particles that got past the oil pickup screen would lodge directly on top of the bypass. The bypass was the lowest point between the filter base and the bottom plate of the oil filter. Any large debris that got between the spin-on filter canister and the filter base would settle to the bottom and rest on the bypass. Then the next time the engine was revved, the trash was forced through the bypass and into the filtered-oil galley!

Thanks to the help at my local auto parts store, I located this kit. The part number is 145011 but it has no brand name on the packaging. I think it is Hayden but I'm not sure. If anyone needs to know I can call and find out. It's a dual cooler with a transmission oil cooler and engine oil cooler in one core. The oil cooler has a remote filter base with standard 3/4-16 threads. A Baldwin B2 filter fits this base. The Baldwin B2 filter has in internal 7 PSI bypass, which bypasses at the top of the filter cartridge. Any debris that enters the filter cartridge will fall to the bottom of the canister nowhere near the bypass. This should prevent a repeat of what happened to this engine the first time it failed due to plastic and cork gasket chips.

Came with hoses, fittings and adapters:
Cooler_Parts_InBox.jpg

The adapter fits my filter base just fine, and the Baldwin B2 filter fits the aftermarket base, too:
Parts_on_box.jpg

Parts_On_Box_Asm2.jpg

The Baldwin filter cartridge has a built-in bypass just below the threaded baseplate as can be seen here:
Baldwin_B2_Bypass_Annotated.JPG

Will have more pictures as this project progresses. I have plans to re-assemble the engine week after next and might even get it installed in the car.

This is my FWD 3.0 - 3.8 draw-through hybrid, a sshown below:
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/hybrids/240088-turbo-buick-3-0-fwd.html

Thanks,
David

Back