You can type here any text you want

Oil leak where from?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

BOP4ever

I just put the turbo back on and drove it today. Ran great and other than some oil leaking under the turbo I'm tickled. Well there is the light tapping that hear from the font of the engine sounds a bit like a lifter. It's only really audible at idle but I hear it using a screwdriver held against the water pump. I don't hear it anywhere else.
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1387198961.597186.jpg
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1387198986.500175.jpg

Looks like the oil drain from the turbo. It either has a crack in the drain line or it's leaking around the gasket. By the amount I'd say it's leaking at the gasket. Studs are your friend here.

I cleaned it up and degreaser the area with brake clean which took the paint off my oil filter adaptor .... I cranked I up and after about 15 min everything looks dry...
Could it only leak under boost ?
It's either the drain or something around the oil pump I think...
Dang this car loves to piss me off...

If it's dripping on the radiator hose I don't think it's the oil pump.

Mine leaked like a siev under boost. Nothing at idle.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

It's extremely common for the ears on the drainback to curl up. Straightening them out is actually much easier than it seems (which is why it's so easy for them to warp in the first place).

The trick is to flatten out (and a little more) the drain flange. Degrease all the oil off both surfaces. Put a skim coat of orange RTV on the turbo flange, the drain flange and both side of the gasket. Let it 'skin' over for a few minutes, then assemble being careful to disturb the sealant as little as possible.
Snug the bolts down slightly tighter than finger tight. After about 15 minutes fully tighten the two bolts. After doing a heat cycle, it wouldn't be a bad idea to reach under there and snug them up again.

It was leaking at the oil feed fitting. I found it after it warmed up!
Tightened the drain to be sure but it was tight.
I had left the feed fitting loose in the turbo. I got another round after putting more thread sealant on it.
Seems good so far.

Thanks

Thought I would report the tapping has sort of gone away.
I heard it after the car sets at idle for a while and only with the hood up.
Rev it a little and it's gone till it sets at idle again for a little bit.
Sometimes never taps even... Strange .
Car is running good though.

Lifter bleeding down perhaps? What weight oil do you run and do you have a 'biggie' oil filter?

I use to have a very light tapping sound after start up and it would disappear after a few minutes.... turned out to be the cam sensor...never replaced it and it went away by itself....!!!
Put a little side pressure on the cam sensor and it went away, release, and it could be heard again....then slowly over a period of a month or so, it disappeared completely.
Luv those kind of fixes....been ok for 3 years...!!!!

I feel it is nothing major I just hear everything it seems on this car any new noise sends me in a worried tail spin for a while. I run 10-40 oil and standard wix filter .

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Back