You can type here any text you want

Oil line routing with external oil cooler question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

GSTOY

Just picked up a turbo saver unit and got to thinking since I'm going to be doing the F body radiator upgrade with a external oil cooler, why couldn't I run the output line of the turbo saver to the external oil cooler then back to the timing cover.

Here's my question, that seems like alot of oil line before it gets back to the engine, but were talking 1/2 ID line, would it be advisable to go that route, or to use the oil filter adapter on the front cover and run the lines from it to the oil cooler that normally would go to the radiator?

If I go the first route, the turbo and oil cooler are protected from a catastrophic problem.

If I go the second route, only the turbo is saved, but I guess the major question is what loss of oil pressure, if any, would their be going thru all that line if I go with the first route.

Opinions appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

I ran alot of line for my trans cooler and I am glad I did... my trans gets hot... wasnt designed for this monster of a motor..... THM400's and Grand national motors dont mix to well..... But I conquered the heat monster.... Like I said above go the1st route with alot of line to run.... it will save you in the end

On mine I got rid of the oil cooler adapter and plumbed it to go:

timing cover --> oil cooler --> turbo saver --> timing cover

I also plugged the port on the turbo saver that feeds the turbo and used the stock turbo feed line. I have my bypass plugged, so my turbo and engine gets 100% filtered oil at all times. I like the stock feed line to the turbo because it restricts the oil flow a bit over that big dedicated line that comes with the turbo saver. Turbos don't really need that much oil, and I'd rather send that oil over to the rods and mains instead.

So now my turbo saver is really just a remote mount oil filter. If I was starting all over, I probably wouldn't have this exact set up, but I still think it is a good one, and it makes good use of the turbo saver that I already had.

John

Back