You can type here any text you want

Oil Pressure??

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Robb13425

Hello all. I am new to the buick v6 and need some help. I recently got a 1983 buick regal w/ a carbed 3.8v6 non-turbo. I got the car and was told the engine had 0 oil pressure and no oil to the rockers. I started the car w/o the rocker covers on and sure enough, no oil. I did not verify the 0 oil pressure though. I wanted to check the oil level, but found no dipstick; so, I changed the oil, to know for sure that it had oil.

knowing the the oil pump had been removed during a water pump replacement (don't ask, the previous owner wasn't mechanically advanced) I was hoping they just botched the oil pump prime. (like not packing the gears with vasoline) So, I pulled the pump installed new gear and a thrust plate, packed it good with vasoline, buttoned it up and started it again w/o the rocker covers. This time i had oil on about half rockers. running short on time before having to leave for an occasion, i decided to **** with it the following morning. the next morning, NO oil on any of the rockers again. I haven't done anything since.

question: shouldn't the rockers see constant oil? what else should I do? where can I tap in for an oil pressure gauge? what psi should i have? what turns the pump drive gear?

I did a quick search, but didn't all the info i needed. Thanks in advance.

RB

engine swap

to compound the questions. what engines could I swap in 231's place. I have a sbc 350 and a sbc 327 available and can get a th350 or 400 easily. i kinda like the idea of using a buick or olds 350, or even a 455. but don't know what mounts are available for each motor.

If you're anywhere near an 'Auto Zone' store, they can rent you a pump primer.

The long oil pump gear might of snapped at the notched end that goes below the distributor shaft, or the main bearings are toast. :confused:

Back