You can type here any text you want

Oil suggestions for new engine

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

tonysmach

I am back in GN world with new purchase. Should I use 10W-30, 10W-40 or straight 40 in the engine. I have ZDDPlus to add to oil. Engine has about 1400 miles on it. Here are the specs:

Engine
• Rebuilt engine at 73,957 miles (have receipt dated 10/6/08)
• Scat H-Beam Rods, JE Light wt. Pistons
• GN1 4340 Steel 3.40 Crank, Main support caps
• 1.6 Jesel rockers, stud mounted
• Bored .020 over, Line Honed and decked
• Ported iron stock heads with receiver grooves and big valves 190/160
• Flat Tappet Hydraulic Competition Cam 521/521
• Kenne Bell 70MM Throttlebody and Plenum - Ported
• RJC power plate
• Felpro Head Gaskets
• 65lb Precision injectors
• 70 mm Precision turbo
• Quad Air Volt Booster
• Cold air kit with K&N filter
• Stretched Stock Location intercooler
• Hot wired Walbro 340 fuel pump
• 3” Stainless Steel downpipe with bung for Wide Band sensor
• 2.5 Stainless Steel catback exhaust, test pipe with Cutout & ATR Pitbull Mufflers
• RJC Adjustable boost controller
• Cooling Mist Methanol injection system, 2 nozzles with trunk tank
• Extender Performance chip from Full Throttle
• Direct Scan set up

we recommend you use Amsoil 10w-30 high performance turbo oil
i am a Amsoil Dealer if you are interested, i know it can be hard to get without connections.......contact slow85gn

i would go with whatever your engine builder tells you to go with. mine told me valvoline 20w50 non syn. not street legal. also told me to run either zddp plus or comps additive.

Thanks for the responses. I am surprised to see the various in different weights...from 30 to 50. I was thinking of using Valvoline VR1 20w50. When you say Valvoline do you mean the VR1 type?

No, not the vr1. They have a 20w50 none street legal. They don't have it listed on there site but you can get it from jegs or napa or a place like that

IMO the regular Valvoline w/zddpplus will be fine as it is designed for daily driving. The zddplus takes care of your extreme psi protection and makes the oil a more robust blend.

Becareful with the strictly racing oils as they dont have the detergency needed for Daily commuting or street cars.

I think the extra money for the or VR1 off road VR1 is a waste since the Zddplus is making the regular Valvoline just as good. Just my 02

Save the cash

Just know this subject is beat to death...LOL

My car has 182k on it and still runsvery very strong and is raced every weekend it can be and has never had synthetic just dino a day of its life and uses (leaks a bit of it) a qt between changes and has 19-20 psi in gear oil psi fully heat soaked. FWIW drove from the Miss gulf coast all the way to BG at 70-75 plus MPH and the car used 1/4 qt of oil and it does have a few leaks...What a turbo regal with oil leaks......NO....... LOL

Back