Ok guy's I need some opinons!

Westside500

Banned
Here is what 4 hours to sand clear coat and polish one wheel looks like!

One wheel is done.. the other still has clear coat on it...

Attachments

• wheels 002.jpg
    wheels 002.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 127
  • wheels 015.jpg
    wheels 015.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 123
It looks great! I just scored a set of black GTA rims today. The painted part is in great shape, but the clear on the lips need to be refinished. I have done lots of body and paint work, but never on alum wheels. Would you care to share how you removed the clear coat? Are you going to reclear them or just leave them polished?

T Spool said:
It looks great! I just scored a set of black GTA rims today. The painted part is in great shape, but the clear on the lips need to be refinished. I have done lots of body and paint work, but never on alum wheels. Would you care to share how you removed the clear coat? Are you going to reclear them or just leave them polished?
Thank you.. I will leave them polished..no clear...
sure.. start with 180 grit sandpaper and just sand away the clear..
then go to 220 grit.. sand
go to 320 grit.. sand , but use warm soapy water
go to 400.. with soap and water
then 600 soap and wateer
800 grit, then to 1000 grit.. sand , sand sand! all by hand. Then use a polishing wheel with some Tripoli to buff the surface, then use a nice clean buffing wheel with rouge and polish away!.. Its very time consuming, but the finish product is worth it.

The polished one is truly beautiful, but I opted to cheat on mine and leave the clear coat on mine. I bought a pristine, almost brand new set of 16" by 8" GTA's with the center finished with what appears to be powder coat a while back, and after polishing the clear coat out with some glaze & polish, they looked nice enough to leave till the clear coat decided to diminish.

Looks great! For anyone who has access to a brake lathe, the time is cut drastically. A little wet-or-dry paper of various grits, and a little water, and you'll be cranking them out (and saving on blisters). Those sure look better polished than clearcoated.:D