You can type here any text you want

Old compaq laptop 486 having problems

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Roc87

11 Second V6
Not sure what the problem is, but I can't seem to get my Compaq laptop to charge the battery! I leave it plugged in overnight and turn it on in the morning only to see the battery meter very low, and it shuts off soon after that. I didn't use it for about 2 months, it worked fine before that would hold a charge for 30 - 45 minutes. It might be a short, I plug it in to charge and the battery charge light comes on, then shortly after that it goes off! I bought this thing off ebay for the sole purpose of running direct scan and I don't know what kind of DC adapter to buy either! Anybody know what's going on? Or should I just buy another laptop????

The battery is probably junk. The best thing to do is buy a power inverter. If you try to buy just a car adapter made for the Compaq, it will probably cost you a lot. It will probably cost you more than the laptop is worth. Same thing goes for trying to buy a new battery, although you might get lucky. If you get the inverter, you can probably find one for aron$30 if you look hard enough. I have seen them in Heartland America cataolgs for $30 for a 175 watt inverter. They will output the 110VAC so that you can just plug your laptop into it. Thier site is www.heartlandamerica.com. Just search for 'inverter'.

Brian

Thanks! I was thinking about doing that, if I get a good enough inverter I could run a 13" TV/VCR that'll keep the wife and kid quiet for a road trip:D

had the same problem with my compaq laptop - bought an inverter and turned the old battery into a drawer.

A *Large* Drawer!:D I don't think my motorcycle batter weighs that much!

Back