You can type here any text you want

Old stories about the Nats

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Blwn87

"You have a vacuum leak?"
Since the nationals are coming up in acouple of weeks i was thinking about the best drag race i had see at bowling green. Feel free to tell urs, here is mine.
It was two years ago and my first trip to the nationals (sorry not that long ago, i was only 17back then and my first GN just got stolen). It was really darn hot outside like it is most of the time in the south. Lots of buick people but lots of GNs around which made me feel like i was in paradise. Now i thought that the nationals were just for buicks to race, i guess i was about to be proven wrong. Since most people know that bowling green is the place where the corvette was born some idiot decided to show up in a corvette and race. Everyone at the place was booing the guy and after he drove by showed him that he was #1 on their list to beat up when no one was looking. So he drives around and goes into the pits to race. I was like man this guy either has some huge brass balls or doesnt know what he is getting himself into. I guess he did since he was driving the late 80s really fast corvettes, sorry cant remember the name right now. To be honest the car was looking pretty mean. It was sitting real low and had huge slicks on the back. By now the word had spread that some a**hole had shown up in a vette and was going to race. So i move to the viewing area to see what the guy was going to race against when on the intercom the announcer said that some guy had shown up in the fastest (80s kinda vette) in the nation. I think everyone was alittle worried that this guy just might take out one of our kind and really piss everyone off really bad. Finally it is his turn to line up and he is against a bad looking TTA (i wish it was a GN but at least its soul is the same). While the guy was doing a burnout everyone in the crowd was booing and showing their disapproval for the guy showing his face. So they line up at the line and by now the place is quiet, quiet enough to hear a guy on the otherside of the track whisper to his friend on what an a**hole for showing up. The tree goes down and they take off, the corvette pull a half a car length on the TTA and everyone is cheering for the TTA (common sense). After the TTA had passed the 1/8 mile mark he started to real the corvette in. They pass the 1/4 mile mark and all is silent waiting for the times to be posted because no one knew who won it was so close. The times get clicked up and the TTA won. Everyone is the whole place was cheering. I had never seen so many people backing their type of car, i almost cried a tear. Ah memory lane.

I witnessed that too!! BTW, the Vette owner was invited as part of a grudge race so he didn't just show up uninvited. This was all prearranged by GSCA staff. Seems like there was another grudge race involving a 70 GS Stage 1 car but I don't recall what he went up against?? If memory serves me well on the race you described, it was a early 90's Corvette ZR1 model with the 32 valve Mercury Marine derived powerplant. It's good the outcome came out like it did! Nothing like busting a Corvette owner's b*lls and ego!:eek:

Evans Ward
Macon, GA
87 Turbo-T
70 GS455

Back