OnStar to the Rescue

turbojimmy

Supporting Member
I'm standing above the terlet, weasel in hand draining the main vein. I'm not sure how else to sugar coat it, I was taking a piss. It's pretty late in suburbia: 9:30 PM. My wife busts into the bathroom and says "someone just rang the doorbell!". I'm thinking "Okay, but it can probably wait until I'm done peeing." Then she peeks out the bedroom window and sees that the floods had tripped on and someone was running through the side yard and 2 others were crouched down behind the Caddy.

As painful as it can be, I pinched it off mid-stream and ran out the front door. My neighbor across the way was outside and said her son had seen 2 dudes run from the front of my house through the back.

The GN is on jackstands in the garage. Not a good pursuit option. I grabbed the Caddy keys and bolted to the car. The Northstar growled angrily through the Corsa exhaust and the entire neighborhood then knew it was on.

I hung a left out of my cul de sac and immediately came upon a couple walking their dog. They were startled at my fast approach. I asked them if they had seen anyone run by. They said no so I threw the Caddy in reverse, nailed the throttle, cut the wheel and swung it around in the other direction. I don't know which was more upset - the traction control or the stability system but it was still a pretty cool move.

About a 1/4 mile past my house I saw 3 people walking. I hit the OnStar emergency button as two of them began to run. I told the third dude to freeze as the operator asked me what the emergency was. I told the operator that I was about to kill someone who was trespassing. The dude froze and the operator, having used the GPS to identify my position, put me through to the police. While waiting for the dispatcher the 'beep....beep....beep' resonated through the Bose sound system as they recorded me yelling at this punk. Finally the dispatcher came on and told me that my wife had already summoned the police. I hung up and had some words with the kid.

I told him that if I ever saw him or his punk friends anywhere near my house again that they wouldn't live to tell about it. I told him that I could fit all three of them in the trunk of this Cadillac easily and no one would ever think to come looking for them in my quiet little cul de sac. I let him go and told him to tell his friends not to come back. He thanked me and kept walking. I knew the police would be at my house and I didn't want to risk having this kid in my car for the trip back.

As I rolled up to my house the cops were already there. They had nabbed the two dudes that ran. Perfect. He had them out and with their hands on the trunk of the cruiser. The cop told them to shut up while I told them the same thing I told their buddy. The two of them gave up the name of the third kid (the one that I had caught and let go). He put them back in the car and left. Turned out I knew the cop from high school. Sometimes living in the same town you grew up in has its benefits.

There are a few weird things about this encounter. After talking to my wife, she had seen a person that she described as not one of the 3 we caught. So there was at least 4 people involved. Also, after talking to my neighbor, the fact that they were at my house makes no sense. My house is the one house where it's most obvious people are home. All my lights are either computer controlled or on random dusk/dawn patterns. The house is well lit all the time whether we're home or not. The other 3 houses on the cul de sac were dark because no one was home. Last, the neighbor that had alerted me lives in the second-best lit house and she said that her son saw them on her front porch.

These guys were young - like early teens. It would be hard to imagine that they were robbing houses but I don't know. But I can't sleep. I recognized the two that the cop had caught as living in the neighborhood. It's just disturbing.

Jim

Wow, that's weird Jim. You should have called me. I get off work at midnight and could have done a late night drive around the hood to check things out.
I wonder what they were up to? Did the cop question them? Maybe they are just a couple of pranksters or maybe more.

Wow, that's weird Jim. You should have called me. I get off work at midnight and could have done a late night drive around the hood to check things out.
I wonder what they were up to? Did the cop question them? Maybe they are just a couple of pranksters or maybe more.

I don't know what they were doing. The cop took the 2 of them away, but probably just drove them home. The kid I questioned wasn't going to tell me anything and I hadn't really seen him do anything other than trespass so I let him go. I doubt they'll be back though.

Jim