open loop idle problems

noslo6

87 Grand National
My car doesn't want to idle very well when it's cold or in open loop. After it warms up it idles perfectly smooth in nuetral or in gear. Is there anything I can do to help it idle better when its in open loop. It hunts for idle constantly. My car has a MSD-50's with RA93 & 108 chips. It does the same with either chip. It acts really rich at idle as I can usually smell it until it gets warm. TIA.

This is just my opinion only. Not meant to flame Red A. I never had any performance luck or idle luck with red's chips. I run JL chips and am totally satisfied. I would not worry about open loop anyway. Cruising is in closed loop with o2 at 600+ degrees.
Mitch

My car idles fine with my RA93. You can try a Thrasher 92 but I would reset IAC, set the TPS and get a power plate. Thats what I did:D

My car runs and idles fine with a RA93 chip. I'd look for a vacuum leak somewhere. Once in closed loop the computer will compensate, but in Open loop it can't.

What do your BLM's / INT's / IAC numbers look like at idle whens the car is warmed up and idling in closed loop?

If the BLM's are high...you may have a small vacuum leak somewhere. Your EGR may be leaking by a little too...

Just a few things to think about,
John

Thanks for the responses guys. I suspected a vaccum leak was the problem. I'll check it out. Thanx again. Oh, Buickboy, do you not ever start your car and let it warm up, or do you just start it and haul a$$???