You can type here any text you want

Opinions on if a turbo LSX/4l80E will "ruin" my GN...

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Adam Connell

Monster Truckin since 87'
Well, I originally was going to put a twin turbo LSX into this 69 nova SS I have been building, but I honestly just dont like the looks of those novas... so when the body work is complete Im just going to "flip" the car and get my money back out of it... I bought it as a very cheap straight rust free roller, so I made my money on the "buy" with that car...

Now, I have done all the research needed to put a TT 6.0 iron LSX into the nova, but I just cant let my GN go... I love the car too much, and there is just too much "cool" factor with these cars to let it go. Im not even going to bother making my car any faster than it is right now, because I know exactly what I "want" out of my car. I could spend a million dollars making my Gn's 3.8 live up to what I want, or I could spend a little and drop a turbo LSX/4l80E into my car and have it do what I want for a hell of a lot less money.

Now my car is no show winner, but it is definitely a very nice streetable GN. It's got 118K on the clock with 18K on the new engine and it's not even the original block. If it were an all original car I might have an issue with butchering it, but since it's not a numbers matching Im not too concerned with the swap "ruining" future value of the car.

Now here is why Im considering this now... I need a new tranny, the stocker is finally dead... I am not fond of putting another 200R behind it because they are just not that strong. Building a decent reliable tranny is going to run me 2K plus... Since im at this monetary "crossroads" I need yalls opinions...

Will putting a 600+rwhp Turbo V8 in my car kill the "cool" factor of the GN? I know I personally get mad when an NA V8 gets swapped in, but does adding a turbo or two make any difference? Trust me this will be a nice swap, and it wont be some rigged up job, it will all get done right with A/C and it will be a fully streetable car...

It should only matter to

YOU

What you think is cool and what you can afford. The v6 factor is always going to be cool to say yeah it is just a lil v6 that beat your v8. That is unless you apply the same combination as in boost, timing, turbo sizing, suspension, traction, etc. to the v8. Look at what dustys regal runs with a turbo v8 on dr's. vs the baddest stage II full blown race cars. Very similar in performance with the edge going to the v8 for sheer size. If you can build the ls series with a total cost of 50% less than it would cost to do the v6 at the same power level then it is obvious what your choice would be. If you get a really good deal for a complete ls trans/motor/harness, turbo piping, etc. I could see it being cheaper but putting it together piece by piece I don't see it being any cheaper actually I could see it being more. The gn came with a turbo 6 so everything is pretty much there already. Do your homework and good luck.

If you are never going to sell it then do what you want.
If you think you will sell it pick up a regal roller.
It sounds pretty cool to me.

Do it. Sounds Badass.

I never worry about resale because they are not for sale.....

Do it! Just make sure the GN engine finds a nice home:) possibly to extend the life of another buick!

My brother has a iron 6.0L stroked to a 408" and procharged in a Silverado. Engine is stout and sounds awesome!

I haven't done a lot of research into this kind of swap but i dont think it would be much of a price difference! 4l80E swaps are expensive:eek: unless you have connections;)

You just get the 4l80 with the donor engine... not a lot has to be done to them to make them live in some very harsh conditions. There are plenty of Gody swap kits for the LSX/4l80, but it's the turbo system thats going to be the fun part. Keeping the A/C and all Accessories will be interesting. I may do a twin setup like APS offers for the vettes and f-bodies and have the turbos tucked up behind the engine. I still dont understand how the oiling would work, but I am going to call APS and see if they could give me measurements on their kits to see if I couldn't just use on of their kits. Either that or Im going to use the stock truck manifolds and fab up the turbo system.

Also... selling everything in just getting a 2010 Camaro SS is an option lol.:cool:

The SS Camaro is an interesting option.
If I had more liquidity, that would be on the table.

I think it would be a cool swap.What makes these car special in the first place is the turbo.I dont think anybody would of looked twice at them if they were just NA 231s.So a LSX and turbo done to look right would just be really cool.Its your car,who cares what everybody else thinks.A couple months ago somebody posted on here that there was a GNX for sale with i think a twin turbo LS engine.He had all the parts to put it back to stock.I think he seperated it though.If you do end up doing it you should do a write up and post some pics of the progress,i think alot of people would like to see it.

Do it............:cool:

See the less there are of the originals the more $ the
rest of our cars are worth. So thank you.

By the way sounds like a cool combo.....:biggrin:

I am looking for one as we type so I can deflower it.
The one I have is just toooooo nice to alter.

But I have no problem transplanting into one that could use a little help.........:eek:

Honestly i got more compliments on my boosted LSx 4l80 than i ever did with the v6. Even the hardcore GN guys loved it. Also the stock 4l80 can handle 600whp with no problems. Have fun with the turbo setup, its not too hard, just keep at it. In fact i even fit a 4" DP through with the A/C box.

I gave this some thought and here is what I came up with;

The GN/t-type are at their essence not much more than a regular regal, the thing that makes them unique is their drive train. This is why they are worth money. I think a turbo buick with a turbo buick drive train is going to be worth significantly more per dollar invested than one with an alternative drivetrain.

You can then argue that it doesn't matter because you don't care what the value is.. but, speed is money. Your Buick is worth much more in speed after it has been liquidated than it is worth in your hands.

For example, if you sell your Buick with a stock drivetrain you can buy a practically mint thirdgen F body for HALF of what you sold the Buick for. With the rest of the money you can do an LSx conversion that will surprise the hell out of everyone, have a car that has handling potential, and still be something you won't worry to death about since thirdgens are a dime a dozen. You can apply this example to a number of other cars as well. If you invest the money that you would have invested into the buick, above what you invested from the sale of the buick, you'll have a car that would be insanely quick compared to what the buick would have been.

Just some food for thought.

i will buy you a regular regal and just trade ya.if a gn is worth athe same as a v8 regal then it should be an even swap.i like v8 turbo cars but why ruin a real gn when the car will be worth exactly the same as a clone gn with the v8?
edit: im just venting lol do it its your car and if its what makes you happy then go for it.should be very fast and sweet to boot

My Opinion

If it were me, I'd sell the Nova, leave the GN as is, and pick up a '84-'88 Monte SS for the swap. You'd have two nice G-bodies, both with a matching brand power plant.

On the other hand, '87 GNs are not "rare" with 20k or so made. I don't think you'd hurt your car's value too much, especially since it's not numbers matching.

its whatever you like, but i would personally keep the v6 in the gn. without that its really not a gn in my opinion, id get a regular regal or something else to drop a lsx into. ive always wanted to do it to an elco. but thats just me

Wow Adam I've never known anyone to not like the best era of the Novas.

But you'd probably be miles ahead to sell your GN and buy a regular Regal roller and do the LSX swap.

Back