You can type here any text you want

Opinions on TTA for sale.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Louie L.

Habitual Line Stepper
Staff member
Guys Im wondering what I should ask for my TTA. I have no desire to finish the car and want to sell as is. What should I ask. I have a number in mind , but want to see what the going rate is.

91k miles. 2 owner car.

Body:
New Sikkens paint job in original GM code.
New lower door molding.
New window dew wipes
All factory badging has been reinstalled. (after pics were taken.)
All factory PAS and door decals were saved and are still affixed to the car.
The original Pontiac door decals and box are available and have not been affixed. Kit is not complete.
New Silverstar head lights.
Fog light housings are intact and new bulbs installed.

Interior:
All new seat upholstery from Hawks Third Gen.
New ACC carpeting in the cabin and hatch area.
New headliner and backing board.
New sail panels
New visors
New hatch motor, housing and switch
New dome light, DS and lock switch
All plastic has been redyed
Stock door panels.

Engine:
Original all stock 91 k miles
Fresh spring cleaning done.
New new plugs
New Comp 980 valve springs.
New fuel pump relay
New Walbro 340 intank pump
New fuel filter
New K&N air filter
Grumpy solid MAF pipe.
MAF + translator w/ 3.5 in MAF
Extender chip
Blue top injectors
Stock exhaust with cat delete and
New Dynomax Turbo muffler.
All fluids replaced, engine oil, trans flush, differential fluid.

Suspension:
New – 4 months old
All new brake rotors
All new brake pads
New front brake hoses.
New rear shocks
New sway bar bushings and hardware all the way around.

Now for the cons:
No rear wing
2 small rust bubbles on front pillars
Stock radio does not work, Steering controls and electric antenna DO WORK.
AC does not work
Heater core has been bypassed.
Wheels look nice but have typical stains.

Attachments

• Ext3.JPG
    Ext3.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 540
  • ext.JPG
    ext.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 550
  • int.JPG
    int.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 537
Wow!!! That paint job looks awesome in the pix. I see you've done alot of work on it since you bought it. GL with the sale.

Louie,
I think based on mileage it should bring 10-12K. IMHO if the car was complete and detailed it should bring 13-14K. The rust on pillars.. is a downer. The spoiler is only 500 bucks away. And i would at least figure out whats wrong with the AC and make that call. Put 134 in it.. done.

So AC not working, no rear spoiler thats probably a 1,500 dollar hit on what you can get for it.

The Radio pops up on Ebay all the time.. and aftermarket radios are no biggie.

I guess selling a car that needs finishing requires someone that wants to finish it.. that narrows your buyers.

If the car was painted correctly, I dont think that would harm value.. especially since it needed it.

This is just my .02 and as my buddy Grumpy would say... a car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Personally I would bite the bullet and get the spoiler and fix the AC.. then put it on Ebay ;) with some killer shots next to the beach :D

Kind of a rock in a hard place on this one. I've been seeing 100k mile cars go for the $10-$12k range that still need paint and interior..which yours has, but at the same time, I'm seeing nice 50k mile cars go for just a little more in the $17k ballpark. I'm with Julio, go ahead and get the rear spoiler, Hawks just did a GP on them for $300 plus shipping, you may want to call and ask them what kind of a price they can do them for, but I think all of the GPs have been ordered.
With that and the AC fixed, I'd think a median price between the 2 examples I just sited of around $13-14k would be fair.

the other concern i'd have is - fresh paint but already rust on the a-pillars??? i'd question the quality of the prep and paint job... what other problems are hiding under that fresh paint? if the whole car was repainted why was the rust not repaired first?

the other concern i'd have is - fresh paint but already rust on the a-pillars??? i'd question the quality of the prep and paint job... what other problems are hiding under that fresh paint? if the whole car was repainted why was the rust not repaired first?

You are absolutely right. But nevertheless the car was painted and prepped right.I know this because my step father ran the body shop and inspected the car regularly. This is the only trouble area because his guys insisted that it would be fine. I would certainly put this paint job up to any of the TTAs currently out there. Ive also seen plenty of them at the nats with trouble starting in the same place over the years.

Rob and Julio,
I follow what you are saying. I didnt want to spend one more single dime on the car. I guess Ill finish it. Unless I get an acceptable offer for it.

I see your point, but with those items fixed it may widen the range of buyers...it may cost you $1500 but you should be able to break even by getting $1500+ more for the car. Kind of boils down to the number of folks looking to buy a car and willing to fix some things on it, rather than those who are looking for a car not needing much..there will always be those minor things.
If at all possible, hang on to it another year and just fix those things as time and $$ permit..I have a feeling these cars are going to start on the upswing in price when the economy turns around and they hit the big 20 years old mark like many other cars have and continue to climb after that for 5 or so years.

And did you do / replace all the "new" items on the car?? If so, you got quit a bit into it already! Another good reason to hang on to it a bit longer.

For Sale

Differently fix the wing, ac and pillars... That should add $3000 to the value of the car. The car looks great, nice and clean. Then ebay her...

Man, I'd keep it till 20 year mark, I think they'll go up. I looked at NADA's web-site on the Grand Nationals a few years ago when they were 17 years old...not much like $12,000 for Great shape, then went back when they turned 20 and they went up to $17,000 for Excellent shape. Now they are $31,000!!
1987 Buick Regal 2 Door Coupe Grand National price report at NADAguides.com
Now look at where the TTA is currently for Excellent shape
1989 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am Trans Am Pace Car (*) price report at NADAguides.com
So if they made a 5hit load (comparatively) of Grand Nationals, but only...ummm, 1555 of TTA's...Yeah, they'll go up at the big 20. IMO

Nice car. Wish it was mine. Would have to sell the GN though; only one garage stall available at home. Can't park the wife outside (or her car). :D

Back