You can type here any text you want

Optima yellow top or red top?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

88 CuttyClassic

The Enviromental Hitman
Which battery should I get for my 83 hurst. I plan on adding probably 140 amp alt. I will probably be running some neon lights at car shows, my system(rf 600a4 & rf200a4) and my 'dixie" horn air compressor along with the normal car functions. What would you guys suggest, the optima yellow top or red top?

If this is the only battery in the car than get the red top. If it is for a dedicated stereo battery, get the yelllow top. They both are excellent batteries but the red top is designed to expell larger amounts of current. ALthough I have heard of people using a yellow top as their primary battery.

this will be the primary battery in the car, my system isn't that high powered that i need two battries but i just wanted to get a good solid foundation for the system. I too have seen yellow tops as the sole battery but my friend to me his battery guy at work told him to get a red top to use cause he has a system.

Had a red top in a truck with off road lights that drew more current than the alternator put out, killed the battery at least 25 times and after jumping the truck, it would be fine once it charged. Can't tell you about the yellow tops though.

The yellow tops are supposed to be better, they use deep cycle cells and put out more CA and CCA then the red top.
I run electric fans, neons and 1300 watt system and I use the red top..no problems yet.

Back