You can type here any text you want

Options for filtered oil to turbo

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

karolko

So i have been thinking of a proper way to provide my turbo with filtered oil. So far i am aware of some options already available that people have been using:
1) Turboluber/turbosaver
2) those small inline billet aluminum filters.

Now i do not want to use the large turbo luber as it is two big and ugly for me. the small inline turbo oil filter sounds like a great idea, but i am afraid that it just doesn't have enough screen surface area, and i fear starvi ng the turbo if it gets clogged.

My idea, which i am sure people have though of already, ais to properly splice into the oil cooler lines.

Here are some questions i would like to ask and share you guys? i am nowhere near the car so i cannot figure this out for myself.

What type of pressure is the oil returning into the engine after pasing through the cooler?

Does the oil get filtered first and then sent through the oil cooler?

Has anyone done this before???

Thanks alot guys,

Adrian Karolko

So let me get this straight... the oil currently in the oil pan, running through the engine bearings... is not clean enough for the turbo too? :rolleyes:

So what happens when something in the motor goes wrong? Say a cam lobe wears out, oil that debris goes thru the oil and to the turbo.:rolleyes: Just offering an alternative to the commonly used Turbo Saver with all of it's extra lines, mounts, etc.:smile:

What is stock oil distribution scheme? Freshly filtered oil going up to the turbo? Is the filter bypassed at any time?

I ran an external HP1 filter head and a large spin on filter pre-turbo. Saved my turb once already. I spun a bearing and found bearing flakes on top of the filter when I spun it off.....but hte turbo was fine.

Well before I even put these out there I first hooked up an oil pressure gauge to the end of the filter. Oil pressure as soon as it starts up, no problem.:biggrin: (and this is with the oil filter ADAPTER bypass fully functional) The filter is a full flow filter which means ALL the oil has to pass thru the filter, there is no bypass in the filter itself.

Go to the bottom of the Turbo Protector page on my site and click on the link to see the oil pressure test I did on start up. www.buickgn.com/turboprotector.htm

Back