You can type here any text you want

Original Tires

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

BuckeyeTroop

I'm trying to convince my dad to remove his original wheels and Eagle GT tires for safety reasons. His car has 15k original miles. I'm trying to sell him my GN wheels and BFG tires off of my higher mile GN. Help me convince him that 21 year old tires might not be safe. If I'm wrong, tell me that also. I haven't seen any signs of rot.

They are not safe for driving
I have seen where good looking tires come apart with disaster results
No worth the risk could kill himself or worse someone else.
and at 15000 not worth much

Definitely not a good idea. Rubber does tend to harden over the years (just check a new radiator hose compared to a 20 year old one). As the tire heats up from rolling resistance and air pressure the compound can become increasingly unstable.

Depends on what kind of care and storage the car had in those 21 years. I have had 2 extremely low mileage turbobuicks and ran the original tires on both, one as a daily driver when the car was 13 years old until the tires had about 28K on them, and the other car when it was about 15 years old, and I changed those only for cosmetic reasons. Sounds like you want to sell your rims & tires.

Depends on what kind of care and storage the car had in those 21 years. I have had 2 extremely low mileage turbobuicks and ran the original tires on both, one as a daily driver when the car was 13 years old until the tires had about 28K on them, and the other car when it was about 15 years old, and I changed those only for cosmetic reasons. Sounds like you want to sell your rims & tires.

Yep, I do, but I have been telling him this for the last couple years even before I bought mile high miler.:D

Back