Overheating,,No fan turn on

BandAid

Keyboard Bully
OK should be a simple fix if I wasnt so funking lazy,,drove Grey T for a hair cut and started to show 240 on gauge,it never leaves 170, When I got home I flipped the Air Conditioning on to see if the fan would run,,,fan not running...
I do have the larger relay by the fender on drivers side diconnected( Delay fan off relay-I think)What the easiest way to check the fan without having to Ohm it out(( think lasier the lazy ):D :D :eek: :eek:

Oh yeah it spins freely...:)

Run a heavy gauge wire from the battery to the resistor block.

And YES the fan will run as soon as you touch the wire to the resistor, either side of the resistor will work, one side will be low speed, one side will be full speed.

Wire should be capable of 30 amps. current at least.

That will test the fan, no need for key on or anything either.

Relay tests require slightly more work. :p

Please note if the fan is shorted internally it may spark real good when you touch the wire on there, doubtful that is your problem however.

You could use a 30 amp. fused jumper wire for the test but that would require some work. ;)

I had the same problem after coming home from the drags 2 weeks ago. My fix was a loose connector under the high speed fan relay. It was literaly hanging half way out of the relay.
On Driver side fender wall there are 3 relays. The one closest to the front bumper is the low speed, the next is the high speed. Either relay can cause the fans not to run if it is bad or has a loose connection. The high and low have the same pn# so you can swap them for testing.

Theres the high temp fan switch on the intake manifold, under the TB. Pull that connector off and run a wire from that connector to a ground. The fan should turn on high speed with the key on. If it doesnt, pull the connectors off the relays and see if you have a bunch of melted plastic in the pins, preventing conductivity. That was a problem I had. I scraped alot of that crap out with an exacto, and it started working again.

Also check all your grounds going to the back of the heads especially. Mine did this to me this past weekend. I freaked out when I saw the temp gauge pegged!! Always runs at 160. No power to the relays at all. Got under the car to look at the back of the pass. side head and one ring was just hanging out up there. Guess it was just touching the back of the head enough lately. Re-attached it and everything working again.