You can type here any text you want

Paging craig. Fan question?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Rickerbucks

Hey Craig.

i think kevin was speaking to you about some fan problems I'm having. What is happening now is the relays work and fans work when jumped. We have set the fan to turn on via the FAST at 30F, it is 50F now. With key on there is no ground for the primary side of the relay. We have power at all times. I have probed directly into the dark green wire (fan control ground) that goes directly tothe FAST so a poor splice is not an issue. I would assume that so long as the fan turn on temp is lower than the actual temp it should ground the relay no matter what. The only thing that makes me wonder is the way this is spliced both the FAST and stock pcm should close the ground for the fan relay when the engine reaches Xdegrees. The stock pcm does not seem to turn them on even when it gets up to temp. There also is a problem with the drivers side fan motor ground. We are just going to splice in and make a new ground.
Thanks for any help.

(before Craig reminds you, make sure that your fan off temperature is lower than your fan on temperature)

Well hopefully someone can learn from my mistake.

This was the second rebuild and this time I did the install myself and I had some overheating problems. There were a number of problems found, one fan motor was burnt out, one fan ground wire was faulty and most importantly, some where, some how, the fan on / off details in the FAST were set wrong.

In the end, the car overheated 4 times before figuring it all out and that resulted in the rings being destroyed. After 500 miles I need a ring job. It took me 7 months to do this re&re and I'm quite despondant at the experience. Not only that but out of cash.

Hopefully someone else will learn from me, NEVER let a new motor overheat.

Back