You can type here any text you want

Paint gas tank while on car?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

GNBRETT

Pelennor Fields
Anyone paint their gas tank while still attacked to the car? What type of paint? Any pics?

I painted mine on the car, masked all around the tank to prevent overspray. I used "Eastwood" Tank Tone Paint. Looked like zinc coating, no pictures, sold the car. HTH Gene

I painted mine on the car, masked all around the tank to prevent overspray. I used "Eastwood" Tank Tone Paint. Looked like zinc coating, no pictures, sold the car. HTH Gene

Ok, kool. Where do I find the eastwood tank tone? Is that like a bare metal color?

Stop working on that damn thing and drive it! Are we ever going to see it in person or are you going to sell out again???:eek:

Painting it satin black looks good too. Mask everything off and spray bomb away.

If the tank isn't prepped properly, I wouldn't spray paint on it. I used Eastwood's Rust Encapsulator. I know you don't want to take it out, but this gives an idea of what it looks like.

Attachments

• IMG_0012.JPG
    IMG_0012.JPG
    30.1 KB · Views: 169
I took mine off media blasted it, primed and painted it. . I tried the paint on car :rolleyes: and looked liked it.

The three tanks I seen leaking from rusting through were leaking from under the straps, so if you do it on the car I recommend you at least drop one strap at a time and make sure to prep and paint that area well.

OK. Thanx. And yes Mark it will be on the road soon enough. Turbo is on back order. Not sure when it is comming in.

tank

I too had surface rust under tank straps. At least ospho the rust spots, prime and paint. I even misted a light coat of undercoating. The tank looks factory as does the rest of this 34,000 mile car.

The three tanks I seen leaking from rusting through were leaking from under the straps, so if you do it on the car I recommend you at least drop one strap at a time and make sure to prep and paint that area well.

X3 I prepped my tank when it was out of the car and undercoated it again, mine was undercoated from factory. I had to take the tank out due to a bad load of gas with a bunch of sediment which pumped into my tank, so I guess I killed two birds.

Back