Paint questions

ONEBADBUICK

Car has original(mostly)paint. I am thinking about having it repainted this winter. What questions should I ask a bodyshop to determine of they will do a good job? Should it be taken down to primer first? Can you get original color(with gold flakes)? What should I expect to pay?

Regardless of who you choose...make sure you document everything before you take it in. When I got mine back, the hood, trunk, and dome lights didn't work, and my dash speakers were blown. Give them detailed instructions as to what you want, and do be afraid to be picky, its your car and you know what you want it to look like. When you get it back, you will be amazed though. I sat in the driveway for a good half hour and just starred at it. :eek: :eek: :eek:

To do it right you need to take the entire car down to bare metal. Take everything off the car that would cause any type of paint line(rear side windows are a good example of something you should take out). Also ask what kind of paint the body shop uses and what type of paint they use. Have them use a good quality paint (Dupont, Sikkens, PPG are good examples) As far as type I would settle for nothing less than base coat - clear coat. Some shops will spray in Lacquer but I don't think that It looks as good IMHP.

NO reputable shop will spray laquer...it's illegal to spray it in a production shop now.

Taking the car down to metal is only needed if your original paint is in bad shape or there are multiple paint jobs on the car already.
The best primer surface you can get is the factory paint.

Originally posted by zam70
NO reputable shop will spray laquer...it's illegal to spray it in a production shop now.

Yea, gotta go up to da city for dat. :D :rolleyes: