You can type here any text you want

Part identification

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

50psi

So here is the pic, im putting my motor back together, getting close to being done and i noticed this, (behind the LIM) so i removed the top part of the sensor, that had no wires going to it and i can't figure out what it's for, i hope it's not important because the car has been running fine without it, please help....what is this?

07261553.jpg

So here is the pic, im putting my motor back together, getting close to being done and i noticed this, (behind the LIM) so i removed the top part of the sensor, that had no wires going to it and i can't figure out what it's for, i hope it's not important because the car has been running fine without it, please help....what is this?

07261553.jpg

looks like a knock sensor. can you clean it off and take a pic of it its hard to tell.

Dang, what are my options now, because there isnt any wires running to the sensor, they are broke off and missing....

There should be one wire that runs to the ESC module on the passenger side inner fender. The ESC module is 4" square and flat.

Many 3.8 2-bbl NA used the same sensor. If you can find one in the junkyard, you could take the wire and connector and splice it in.

i see but the problem i have is that there is no wire in the bay that runs to it...I think in going to have to take the plastic wrap off the harness and go wire by wire till i find a random loose one, what do you guys think?

Here is the wire you need, I highlighted it for you... that pin sticking out of it is part of the sensor that broke off:biggrin: just like yours.
1000911ncopy.jpg

ok i see is this gonna be a junkyard find to replace or is there an online company that sells this????Or does anybody have one for sale?

ok i see is this gonna be a junkyard find to replace or is there an online company that sells this????Or does anybody have one for sale?

Good luck:redface: Check ebay... I seen one for $75 a couple weeks ago:eek: Look up ESC... I will check ebay in a minute too.

Would this work, this is the piece i have but there is no wire coming out of it... they look the same? What do you think?

TPI TBI Camaro Wiring Harness Knock Sensor Connector: eBay Motors (item 360264942046 end time Aug-19-10 13:25:15 PDT)

That should be correct for your 1983 piezo knock sensor. The picture 6 or so posts above is for a 1978/82 style knock sensor (accelerometer).

As posted above, Caspers has the connector as well for $8.95.
CEI - Casper's Electronics, Inc.

You don't have to run the knock sensor, but if you plan on pushing the boost up, I sure would want it.

awesome, i ordered it and it should be here in a couple days, now i just got to find the wire that it goes to...:mad:

Well i tore my harness apart and found this, does this look like the wire that is supposed to run to the knock sensor?

wire.jpg

wire3.jpg

Back