Passenger Roof Weatherstrip Seam?

Turbo Brian

What do I type here?
Just purchased a roof rail weatherstrip for the passenger side window from GM. When I opened the package, there was a seam in the weatherstrip about three inches forward of the seal corner. It looks as if the machine ran out of material and two seals were connected together. There is no similar seam on either side of the cars existing seals.

Has anyone else run into this? I hope there is not a run of seals that were made like this. Could this part be a factory second that made it past inspections.

I dont think its a factory second. GM was always lax on their quality control. Another company makes those for GM so the big guy never sees the end product. I have a set of left and rights strips and neither of mine have any seams. I dont know how these strips are made but I'd bet they are made just like pasta noodles running through some type of fixture that molds them. If it makes a difference to you I would see if the dealer would exchange it for you. If the replacement doesn't have the seam than the dealer should be able to do a claim with GM for a defective part. Eric Fisher

I ordered a second weatherstrip, hopefully, it will come thru with no additional seam in the same area.