You can type here any text you want

Pistons...

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

fly89gta

Who's running aftermarket pistons?

What kind and how much did they cost you?

Diamond - forged.

Not sure of the cost because it wasn't itemized with the motor rebuild but they were around the same as the last set of Ross pistons that John's Performance had ($300?)

Yeah, John sold out from what I heard.

I assume though if you are looking for new pistons you are probably doing an overbore for cleanup and would go 10 or 20 over anyway, no?

Originally posted by fly89gta
Who's running aftermarket pistons?

What kind and how much did they cost you?

I have Ross pistons in my motor, can't remember how much they were, MarkB is probably close with his #'s. J&E's are also good but they run in the $600+ area. Depending on what you want to do with the motor, hi boost/low compression, low boost/high compression, the size of the dish is important. TTA dish is 30.4 cc's, GN is 24.4 cc's. Oh yea, the J&E's are a bit lighter than Ross.

Ughhh, this is gonna get expensive lol

I have .30 over TRW's now but a few are shot, along with the block.

I want to get a virgin block but I don't want to go 30 over right off the bat. IF I did do that I could call up TRW and just order 2 pistons though.

I got another block and went 10 over. That leaves at least one and possibly 2 overbores in the future.

I went .020 over and with JE's (though you probrobly already know that :) ) I dont remember what they cost scince it was also part of the engine build but if I remember correctly they had to be special ordered and werent cheap.

Steve

With half my motor being destroyed this is getting WAY more expensive than I bargained for.

The crank might be damaged too :mad:

With half my motor being destroyed this is getting WAY more expensive than I bargained for.

The crank might be damaged too :mad:

Tell me about it:)

My car had a "brand new" shortblock with an aftermarket cam.

I ended up using only the rods and crank......

Might be time to read up on the current status of the Eagle steel crank!

I'm close to calling it quits. This is getting too expensive for me. It's not really worth it right now :(

Yep, I know that feeling. My car has been in rebuild mode for
3 1/2 years now. Kinda gets you down that these cars are not like small block Chevies where there are lots of cheap options. I guess that's the price we pay for owning these.

Kinda kills you that you can buy a whole car for (let's say) $8K and it costs you 1/2 that or more to rebuild a motor. At times I thought of buying another car for $7-9K and see how long it lasted!

Mine will be completely done soon(hopefully). J&E's, slightly bigger cam, ported heads, matched intake, studded mains, arp rod bolts, arp head bolts, the PT-51 has less than 100 miles on it since bought almost a year ago, MSD 50's have about 200 miles on them, Walbro 340 has about 300 miles on it, Nitto's have about 100 miles on them,etc.

Even at this stage, I'm contemplating an LS1 purchase. Good heads, cam and a 100 shot has gotten people into the bottom 11's. What to do, what to do, what to do!

Then again it's always nice to clean up the streets with that ratty as 3rd gen ;)

Originally posted by trading t/a

Even at this stage, I'm contemplating an LS1 purchase. Good heads, cam and a 100 shot has gotten people into the bottom 11's. What to do, what to do, what to do!

How ironic because I've been thinking the exact same way. I've been cruising the LS1 forums looking at cars. My car has been on the disable list so long I have lost interest in it. I do own and drive a GN as a daily driver, so at least I'm not turbo-less.

Whats wrong with picking up a used long block and putting the TTA heads on it. Used GN long blocks are 600-800 typically. A new set of bearings and seals.. bada bing.. back on the road. When you get into "JE" pistons and such.. it gets really expensive fast.

If you go and price building an LS1 .. it isnt any cheaper. If the motor broke, and was cuased by racing... then it comes with the territory.

Stay the course, you'll be enjoying the car soon again.

Ohh.. I picked up an 85 GN long block for 400 bucks last week at the nats.. not pretty.. but very effective.

Julio, that's the plan now. It'll bump the compression up a bit but I'm planning on getting one of your progressive kits so it's all good.

I figured some work to the heads will drop the CR back down a bit...

So yeah, a GN shortblock and TTA heads is the plan right now :)

Tony let me know if you need anything block,long block,pistons and rods i have 4 spare engines laying around ;)

Thanks Jim
215-669-1696

Good deal Jim. As soon as I figure out exactly what I'm doing I'll be giving you a call.

It'll bump the compression up a bit but I'm planning on getting one of your progressive kits so it's all good.

I figured some work to the heads will drop the CR back down a bit...

I know this gets to be a controversial subject and I know what I always read, but my engine builder (who is very well respected in the Northeast) said he's never seen a significant compression difference dropping TTA heads onto a GN block.

I was concerned about the same thing but after talking to him at length, he did it with my block.

Julio - you are right about the LS1 thing, but I keep thinking that long term the LS1 is going to be a better platform.

Back