Pleasant surprise today-ALPINE FIND

INEEDAGN

Seen Your Member
I opened the door of an older pickup we took in on trade today, noticed a fancy cd player in it. Did a double take when i noticed it was an alpine 7949! Boss said as long as it has a woking cd player in it he doesnt care if I swap it out for a lesser model. SO tonight, out with the alpine, in with a "vintage" pioneer deh-245. Then I thought, hmm this deck is preamp only, slid the seat forward and theres a 5 channel alpine v12. De-wired and nabbed that too. :smile:

I've had/have several mid-upper level clarions (despite me never liking clarion) but this thig seems to be quite a bit higher up the food chain. Copper coated chassis? Jeez it's almost TOO good for me. Now I need to research processors/changers that this will control so I can ditch the clarion stuff.

i had one of those, by far it was one of the cleanest sounding headunits i have ever used. as soon as i saw the copper chassis, i had to have it....to this day i still dont know why.

Thought this was going to be an Alpine you got at one of your frequented salvage yards Bob! Nice score either way. Hope all is well and you're staying warm back there!

James

Thought this was going to be an Alpine you got at one of your frequented salvage yards Bob! Nice score either way. Hope all is well and you're staying warm back there!

James

Actually this is better than junkyard because I didn't have to buy it. LOL the pioneer 1.5 din that's in the GN right now IS from that junkyard though. Weather has been surprisingly good out here so far.

Last time I hit that junkyard, I came home empty handed. :( It was pretty bad, had to go through grief counseling, etc. Low point in my life for sure.

Ok so you old school alpine fans: Does this thing control any slave processors? Not that I NEED it to, but if it does I think I'll track one down. Kinda the ONLY reason I planned on the clarion setup (besides cost). My dream processor is one of the audiocontrol digital units, this is a "get me started" deal.

i had one of those, by far it was one of the cleanest sounding headunits i have ever used. as soon as i saw the copper chassis, i had to have it....to this day i still dont know why.

Sony had a copper chassis on one of its ES cd players. Here is one BNIB. I knew you would HAVE to have this one too. Enjoy it.:)
sony cdx c90r cdxc90r mobile ES high end CD car stereo NEW Brand New In Box | eBay
dsc01991bn8.jpg

I have an old 7909 somewhere around here in the original shoulder bag! :) LOL

Well Rick, when you get sick of storing that old thing, stick it in a flat rate box and ship it to me, then let me know what I owe you for it. Don't even care if it works. Just want to say I have one. LOL

I read a lot of alpine reviews that talk about how good the tuner was in the original ones. I think I had a radio with the same tuner. Someone gave me a pull out chassis alpine tape deck when I was about 13-14. I had it in my bedroom running on a 12v power supply, don't remember if it was preout only. With a crappy tractor antenna stood up in the corner of my room, that radio could pull a station off any frequency. It had a button on it that said "FM0" or something like that. When you activated that sucker you had endless stations to listen to. It was so crazy I had showed it to my friends. Both of them. LOL But seriously, the thing had an overheat problem even sitting open in a cold bedroom. Left it on one night, fell asleep, burned something up in it. The heat problem actually made me scared of alpines for the next several years.

My first car stereo was in my bedroom before I had a car. Had 2 8" infinity kappa subs (the green ones) in truck boxes under the bed, had a pair of 6X9s in boxes, one on the dresser, one on the nightstand. I was in heaven. later upgrade to a 15" MTX in the corner but the 20A power supply couldn't run it. Many variations of amps, etc. Then I got a car, and I still have the 15" round solobaric from that setup, though the PPI art series 600 was stolen shortly after I sold it to a buddy. That bitch ROCKED that poor little dodge shadow. If A600's weren't $200 now on ebay i'd fire that old girl up again, for old time's sake. Still got an eye open for an "honest" 600wrms amp for that 15.

Enough reminiscing. But hey at least I started the thread that I hijacked this time. Oh I almost forgot the pioneer DEH-5. Yes you read that right. I can't find any info/pics but it was satin black and was pioneers first attempt at a high end cd player, removable face, remote, 2 preouts, etc. Early 90's. NOT the all out SQ efforts that came later. I can't remember the exact model number but i'm pretty sure its a deh-5.