You can type here any text you want

Please tell me what you think...

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

231power

Hi,
My '87 GN has been fine this summer but it started cutting out / sputtering for a minute when I was getting back to work one day. It's been fine for several short runs but the cutting out is back and getting worse / more consistent. I took a short powerlogger file with it just idling, and another one with idling then a short easy drive where it sputtered a bit. When on the gauges screen in PL, the cutting out makes the gauges jump around for a split second, which would lean toward an electrical issue right? If my Walbro 340 fuel pump was dying for example, I doubt most of the gauges would jump around when a fuel component cuts out. When the car is acting up, any load on it seems to make it occur. If I just idle along it's okay but when you need to speed up it makes it worse. And it wasn't doing it at idle at all but I believe it's starting to now.

From what I know, the readings from PL look normal at idle, other than when it goes closed loop I expected it to stay there. At idle closed loop would uncheck, and if I rev up to 1500 rpm or so closed loop would return and BLM learning would start. The car has low miles on the fuel system upgrades, plugs, Turbo Tune chip, battery is maybe 3 years old, new stage I tranny from last summer. Plug wires aren't super fresh but maybe 10k miles on them. PL files are attached. No trouble codes listed on that screen, no 'svc engine soon' checked off. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

The open loop idle is easilly explained, you're running a Turbo Tweak chip. They are open loop idle.

As for the rest. I don't think it's an electrical issue as such. What is seen on the jumping gauges is telling!! You'll notice the primary values jumping are MAF, LV8, Inj duty cycle, and timing. All are linked to the MAF value.

IMHO, you've got a MAF sensor going bad, especially in light of your explanation of how it's happening.

Pretty obvious from the display.

Attachments

• logfile cutting out..jpg
    logfile cutting out..jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 210
Awesome, thanks Dave! I ordered a maf today, surprised it was only $110. Should have it next week. Thanks for making it easy.

Isn't there anyone else around you that you could have borrowed a good MAF from to test it before shelling out the bucks?? Where did you order the new one from? The vast majority of reman'd maf's are badly calibrated.
So beware.

No one around to borrow from. Ordering the new one from NAPA. I didn't know a reman could be poorly calibrated. Can you adjust for that or will it always be a handicap ? Thanks.

As you will find through reading on the board, the reman's are a crap shoot at best. Upwards of 75% are mis calibrated, and no there's nothing you can do about them. Most folks are switching over to one of the Translators and Chevy MAFs.

Dave,
I meant to tell you, I think the new MAF did the trick. I had the car in storage when I replaced it but the powerlogger wasn't picking up any blips while the car was idling. Thanks again.

Glad to hear you probably got it. Keep a close eye on it.

Back