You can type here any text you want

Plug Issue

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

GrndNatnl

Regal of the Dark Order
I just checked a couple plugs today, being unsure of their condition since they were in the car when I purchased it. (Only fooled with the easy-to-get-to ones up front for the time being.) Currently, I'm running Autolite 24's and they're quite white. Appears to be a little too hot.

The car is basically running a stock setup, and I've only hit about 15-17 psi of boost max. I checked the gaps, and it was way out of wack. Was gapped at about .042, which I'd like to believe was a mistake, and I'm going to correct it with the new set of plugs to a .035 gap.

Any reccomendations? I was thinking of stepping down to Autolite 23's, (and make that platinums too). Should I run a little cooler? If I'm not mistaken, the heat range of the 23's is the same as AC CR42TS, which folks usually recommend for higher boost or sub-12 second cars. And thats not quite my ET (yet). Since the 24's would then be equal to AC 43's, I would assume the same results as with my current autolites. I may just use AC plugs, but which heat range? And could the fact that they're over-gapped be causing it to burn too hot?

A/C CR-43TS gapped at a tight .035 which means .0345 or so.

Will work fine for a stock setup at those boost levels.

Just say NO to platinum plugs. They suck in our application.

Had a bosch break the tip off in one cylinder. :(

Alrighty, sounds good. So I shouldnt need to step down a degree to the 42's? Even if whats in there now appears to be burning hot? I'll pick up some CR43TS plugs from work.

Oh, and any methods of getting the damn back plugs out a little easier? Talk about knuckle busting...

Do a search on spark plugs you will find tons more opinions on them than mine.

I use a universal joint and long extensions 3/8" drive for the #6 plug.

Works okay, occasionally if I rush I break one.

I always buy a spare. ;)

I echo SalvageV6 sentiments exactly. Try a spark plug socket with a universal and at least a 20 inch extension. Some board members have reservations about the plugs I use. I installed AC Delco Rapidfire #1s.

I've been thinking about cutting the threads off the mainfold bolts that are in the way of #6 plug.

Anyone know why the bolts have threads on both side of the head. Was it to mount a heat shield?

Rapid Fire Plugs are the wrong plug to use with the ignition system we have in our cars. My understanding is that half the plugs fire from the center electrode to ground the other half from ground to the center electrode...Rapid Fires are make to fire from the center to ground only. Stick with the Autolites or the AC R4** for best results....

hth's
Bob

cmokem
I wouldn't know how the plug could restrict the flow of electricity, unless there was some sort of diode in the plug. Please explain about the construction of that plug that I don't know:confused:

Here's another question...

I picked up some CR43TS plugs tonight from work, but after pulling the current Autolite 24's to check, I just put the new plugs aside for future use. The Autolites are still pretty new and in good shape. Heres the question though..

I was pulling the plugs and correcting the gaps (to a tight .035). They were all around .043 + or so beforehand, which I'm sure was harsh on the ignition system, and could be the cause of what I had seen on the passenger side plugs. Cylinders 1, 3, and 5 plugs were lookin good. However, 2, 4, and 6 appeared to have a few carbon-streaks on the outside porcelain where it looked like it was arching. Cyl 2 had a rather white (hot) plug compared to the rest, and had the most streaks. Anyone know what the problem could be with this?

There's also newer 8 mm Belden wires on it too. I'm thinking of putting some high-performance / low-ohm wires on it soon. Any suggestions? (Looking for good wires at a good price, not $100) Thanks for the help guys.

Back