You can type here any text you want

Powdercoat engine oil pan?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Jan Larsson

Anyone had their engine oilpan powder coated? If so did you do it inside - out and also the gasket maiting surfaces?

I have done it on another car, i did not do the inside or gasket area's.

^Same here. I did my buick's just recently and left the inside and the gasket flange alone.

About to do mine. If you get a chance wipe the gasket flange before putting it in the oven.

Brilliant feedback and comments, I'll get mine done (just outside) per your suggestions. Thanks guys!

Not on the GN but on my stealth, had to go with the powder coat chrome :D

2010-03-18150857.jpg

If you're ready to accept the possibility that the material may fall off, carry on.
I'd be putting that powder coating effort into something that would be better served rather than wasted.
Have you given any consideration to applying electric motor red to the lifter galley?

If you're ready to accept the possibility that the material may fall off, carry on.
I'd be putting that powder coating effort into something that would be better served rather than wasted.
Have you given any consideration to applying electric motor red to the lifter galley?

Hmmm, well i do my own powdercoating for fun, i dont think its a waste at all...

Wow, somebody needs decaff.........:biggrin:

its called Glyptal

Pissed a few of you off, :rolleyes:
I'm in favor of things that generate positive results. With decades of background in the coating business as my reference point, maybe it's worth something to a few of you, take it or leave it.

I had the pan done on my 86 recently. I would NEVER coat on the inside of any engine part. Valve covers, oil pan, front cover, and you have to be careful with the intake when powder coating it. Who knows how hot oil and antifreeze over time will react with the powder if you did inside. If done right it comes out nice and lasts a life time. I'm happy with mine. The only thing that sucks when I look under the car I think it's wet with oil!! I'm so use to these Buick's leaking! After spray bombing parts and finding out spray paint only last maybe 2 years before it goes to crap powder coat is the way to go!

4369316528_8b2c4728f4_o.jpg

4368567819_15aa23e239_o.jpg

4369316332_5deb37074a_o.jpg

4368567785_4887816d8b_o.jpg

4369316422_8eaa8c2f23_o.jpg

Thanks Jim, can you stick that one the box with all my stuff when you send it across the pond :-)

Looks great. Will get mine stripped and zinc plated then powder on the outside ...

Powder Coating on the inside of engine surfaces or components? Personally, no thanks, but on the outside it's a player.
Polymer's and Ceramic's on the inside of engine surfaces and components? Where do I get in line.
Cryogenic processing? Again, I'm looking for the line.
Using Teflon Oil additive? Done correctly, hell yes, :>).. even DuPont has done an about face on this from what they were saying 25 years ago.
Teflon Oil additive in a automatic transmission?
This is (possibly) the best kept transmission secrete to date. Yes, it works and I wasn't believing it until I witnessed the results.

BTW; The Rolls Royce Merlin had lead coated valve springs back in the 40's. It was used to control harmonics and it worked well.
I thought they used it to control oxidation (which it accomplished also), but they needed to control the spring more than worry about rust.

Back