powdercoating trim?

streetworkxs

currently I have chrome trim for my '86 limited and want it black. Thinking about having it powder coated, will that be the best way to go? should I have it clear coated, will it sit flat on the car or will the powder coat make it raised up. glossy, semi gloss, or flat? car has a new paintjob

2528923_59_full.jpg

currently I have chrome trim for my '86 limited and want it black. Thinking about having it powder coated, will that be the best way to go? should I have it clear coated, will it sit flat on the car or will the powder coat make it raised up. glossy, semi gloss, or flat? car has a new paintjob

You should do powdercoating as it is much more resistant than regular paint. Also, the correct finish should be semi-gloss...or semi-flat black.
Hope this helps!

Claude. :smile:

In 2003 I repainted my wheel mouldings and within two years of limited driving it looked like crap. 3 years ago I coated it black and it's still good today.

Not all of the external trim is metal and will take the process. Wheel well molding and door edge guards is about all I can think of that can be coated

Be careful powder coating the trim pieces. The smaller thin stuff like the wheel well openings can sometimes warp from the heat of the curing. I had one guy make a jig for the wheel well openings and they stayed in shape. Another set I had done went flat! It went back on the car but it was all warped. Just make sure the person you take the stuff to has done thin trim pieces before. Satin or semi is the sheen you want to go with. The paint looks great and new powder coated trim will make it pop for sure!

thanks for the tips guys! i actually already had the bumpers powdered. should I have my trim clear coated also?