You can type here any text you want

Power estimates

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

COOPER12

I am sure someone knows our has done this.
what kind of power can you expect out of a 83 t type or any carbed one.
headers (do they make then for the carbed guys?)
exhaust intake and a chip? can these be brought up to 86-87 t type/gn performance standards
and be a street legal ride?
just curious if anyone has any ideas.
I know alot of people say go with the 84 and up but what is cooler than a carbed turbo :cool:

If you're talking about an NA set up you can get 250 HP, but it takes a lot of work. If you're talking about a carb/turbo system then it's more. Matt231 is getting roughly 300 out of his with the modified turbo system. I think he's getting more out of it but the calculator needs a little more info to figure out what he's getting. The HP numbers are only part of this though. These engines produce a suprising amount of torque and that's where the real power is. :)

yep turbo motors is what I was asking about. nice 83 in socal for about 5k. needs paint but has a new rebuilt motor turbo and tranny. straight looking car. just wondering what kinda power figures I could expect with simple bolt ons.

The bad part is that there are no "simple" bolt ons after market. You might want to do a little reading here. BEFORE BLACK Website. Rich's site has a lot of info about the cars and should help you understand them a little better. There are simple things that you can do to improve performance but other than a cam, porting the heads, ond other DIY mods we're pretty much in the cold for parts.

The turbo I figured out is a big improvement over the stock one but it takes a lot of understanding on how to make it work as well as build one. Nothing about any of the turbo Buick V6 cars is cheap but it is easier to mod one of the SFI cars than it is to do a carbed turbo car. Most of the tech for the 84-85 cars interchange as far as headers ect but understanding how the carbed system works is a little different and much more time consuming.

can these be brought up to 86-87 t type/gn performance standards
and be a street legal ride?

well paying $5k an then throwing more $$$$ to get up to 86/87 performance ...why wouldn't you spend another grand an get a 86/87 that are a lot easier to make go even faster ??:confused:

well paying $5k an then throwing more $$$$ to get up to 86/87 performance ...why wouldn't you spend another grand an get a 86/87 that are a lot easier to make go even faster ??:confused:

I hate to agree here but Dan's right. These cars are unique and require a lot of work to make them faster. It is easier to go with an 86-87 car but just remember, "the road less traveled" in the end. :)

Thank you guys.
I guess my main question is
if a 83 has 190 horse 280 lbs with additions of
exhaust system , air intake maybe headers and a chip what could that realistically get

Realisticaly you could get as much as 250 out of it without to much. Chips other than the stock one isn't available. Several of us have tried and no luck.:( A good down pipe is needed but you'll have to make that yourself. One of the B4black guys has made one and put it in the fab section if you want to look, and you can PM him but it's a no solicitation deal in either the fab or how to section. cold air intake will help as well as a good exhaust system.

Back