You can type here any text you want

power master brake

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Use the search function and you will see that there is alot of information regrading your question . I read as much of it as I could . You will be able to make a very educated decision from there .
The first thing you have to decide is how original do you want to keep your car ?
To just say use the search doesnt answer your question though . I am new to this forum so I havent answer this question a million time so I will give you my opinion .
I went with vacuum . I kept all my power master stuff and will give it to the next person that buys my car . My power master failed and once was all it took . My life and investment in the car was more important to me than keeping my car stock .Vacuum has never failed while driving my power master did .
I used Red Regals system and I am not looking back .

From the other side of the fence...

The PowerMaster is an excellent braking system. It just has to be cared for properly. Many don't understand this and the P/M's have gotten a bad reputation because of it. They are also many years old and, if neglected, will fail. A vaccum system will also fail if neglected. They just have more room for error.

Keep this in mind when making your decision...
A properly functioning P/M delivers upwards of 600psi to the wheels the moment you step on the pedal.
A vaccum system has to develop it's pressure by you pressing your foot on the pedal.
In both cases, the harder you push, the better your brakes will grab.

In my opinion, the P/M gives you an advantage.

From the other side of the fence...

The PowerMaster is an excellent braking system. It just has to be cared for properly. Many don't understand this and the P/M's have gotten a bad reputation because of it. They are also many years old and, if neglected, will fail. A vaccum system will also fail if neglected. They just have more room for error.

Keep this in mind when making your decision...
A properly functioning P/M delivers upwards of 600psi to the wheels the moment you step on the pedal.
A vaccum system has to develop it's pressure by you pressing your foot on the pedal.
In both cases, the harder you push, the better your brakes will grab.

In my opinion, the P/M gives you an advantage.

I dont want to hijack this thread but zeus87gn, i have to complement you. Every time I read about the powermaster, you are always giving positive advice. You are one of the few who still believe in the powermaster.

My GN is all original and i like the powermaster, even though it is a little complicated. The original powermaster was changed about 8 years ago with another powermaster bc i had the brake light on.

I had a turbo shop do the work. Now that I have some more experience and the internet, I know how to trouble shoot the brakes. I changed the accumulator ball to the one that Kirban sells and I have not seen that brake light since. I also had the brakes bled and I plan to bleed them every year.

I also just bought a spare switch. the powermaster is becoming rare and I hope to learn more about it. So thanks for all your great posts!

PS: the hydroboost system from the earlier GNs look like a good option but it works with the power steering.

The hydratech system( i think thats what's it called) loooks like a great alternative for older cars but I believe it costs about $1,000. I paid that much for my extra OEM powermaster that I still have in the box and I will probably store for another 5-10 years!
I prefer the powermaster but if I were to give advice on changing, I would suggest the 2 above options. I don't like the vacuum system. It seems like too much work to have to change the pedal and there's a risk that vacuum hoses can blow off!

thanks
Frank

When my PM system worked, it worked great. I have tried to keep it, but parts are just so hard to find and keep up with. I kept the fluid clean, had a few accumulators and pressure switches stored. Even rebuilt the master cylinder. Then the motor took a crap. I finally decided I was done with PM and switched to hydroboost. Very nice reliable system and parts are readily available and less expensive than PM. For those that want to maintain PM, I commend you, but personally, I'm done with PM.

I am not pro or con any system . If my powermaster didnt fail it would still be on my car and zues your are right master cylinders do go bad . The reason all of mine went bad was because the cars sat . I bought a GN that wasnt driven alot so it makes sense that the pwoermaster might fail . I just have never had a master cylinder go bad while driving down the road .
I think what braking system someone decides to use is a personal choice . I will leave the pros and cons of each system to the experts .My choice went just like this .
I fixed my powermaster once . Three weeks later the light came back on . I started pricing out the parts to begin replacing troubleshooting .All indications of brake problems went away .I drove the car down the road the brakes were gone . I priced out what it would take to trouble shoot my power master or replace it and Vacuum was cheaper . . I will never race my car so I dont need alot of brake . I need my car to stop . Right now it will hold the car and spin the tires . Vacuum was right for me .
Zues I have read you other threads and think you have given me some advice .You like the system. For me there is nothing wrong with the powermaster system . After a failure I just nolonger trusted it .
My final thought is this drive your cars . If you let them sit you will have problems .

I dont want to hijack this thread but zeus87gn, i have to complement you. Every time I read about the powermaster, you are always giving positive advice. You are one of the few who still believe in the powermaster.
thanks
Frank
Frank, tzque,
Thanks for the compliments. Forgive me if I feel the need to help, but brakes (in general) are just too easy on these cars and I hate to see others get ripped off by shops (or stealerships) or just go through work that may not be necessary because they just don't know or understand. I just hope I don't offend anyone with my preferences.

Yes, I do believe in the powermaster. Not only is it just a good unit, but one he!! of a conversation piece. They are actually quite simple in theory, just tricky to diagnose...and now getting expensive. I have heard there are some turbo diesel rigs on the road with variations of it still being made.

Yes, Hydroboost would be my next choice over vaccum on a turbo charged vehicle.

As many have said in other threads, its a personal choice.

Back