You can type here any text you want

Power steering why-ning!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Grand_87_national

I lika... do da cha cha.
After some searching, I've determined that this is a common issue. My 1987 GN has had the powermaster system converted to vacuum brakes, and my steering likes to whine about it. Ok, no more puns. Some say to add slick 50 or lucas, others say to just live with it. My question is: why does it do this in the first place? The fluid is full, and it only happens when it is at operating temperature, and you move the wheel quite quickly. Slower movements (especially at speed), do not cause it. Just when there is a heavy load on the pump. Is it a capacity issue? Temp issue? Has anyone tried a large spin-on filter added to the return side, or perhaps a large aftermarket cooler for more capacity and lower temps? I'd love to get rid of the noise. Thanks in advance, folks!

Are you saying you have hydroboost?? Brakes won't affect anything steering related unless you're running hydroboost.

Are you saying you have hydroboost?? Brakes won't affect anything steering related unless you're running hydroboost.

No, it was converted to vacuum brakes by the previous owner. Perhaps it's been noisy for awhile. I just bought it a couple weeks ago. Any tips to quiet it down?

I'm confused with your first post when you mentioned the brakes. If you have vacuum brakes, then there is no relation between your brakes and steering. With that being said, if your pump is noisey, try draining it and replace fluid. If that doesn't help then it's pretty obvious your steering pump is probably going bad. Pumps don't last forever.

I'm confused with your first post when you mentioned the brakes. If you have vacuum brakes, then there is no relation between your brakes and steering. With that being said, if your pump is noisey, try draining it and replace fluid. If that doesn't help then it's pretty obvious your steering pump is probably going bad. Pumps don't last forever.
That's my fault. After doing some more reading I see that the 84-85 cars had hydroboost. I guess the 86-87 cars were electronic rather than using power steering pressure? Anyway, yes, I'd like to try to flush it out. Any recommendations on fluid/ additives?

Back