power window motor replacement?

deputydawg

Has anyone replaced the power window motors on their cars? I pulled one out of a salvage door, but I wasn't interested in removing it correctly and just drilled out the rivits. What is the correct procedure to replace the power window motor on the passenger side?

First off you will want to support the window with a piece of wood or something that will hold it in place when you remove the motor. Second, drill all the rivets out when taking out the old one. Last, you will need the sufficient bolts to affix it back in the same place. You may want to get the nuts that have the locking threads. It will prevent vibration from making it fall out. Make sure that you plug the adapter into the motor correctly so it doesnt go up when you hit down and vice versa. It should only go in one way, with the clip that locks on. When you first put it in, make sure you have clearence both ways, up and down. By that I mean test it before you put it all back together to see that you have the teeth aligned correctly so it can fully go up and fully go down. Im pretty sure that the motors may lock out at a certain point? Not too sure on that one..........

theres a thread somewhere on this board about a modification to the wires or harness or motor or something like that to fix the slow windows. It was fairly recent. See if you can search and find it.

okay, that is what I was thinking...

So I will have to drill out the rivets and replace them with bolts. Thanks for the input and I will definately look for the thread to speed them up.

I just did mine, but I went to the parts store and paid 20 each to save me the hassle. I still have the boxes if you need a part number.

paid $20 each..

For what, the motors? I have a motor, I already pulled it out of a salvage door. Checked the motor, it works. I just wasn't sure if I needed to drill out the rivets in my current door as I took the quickest route possible on the salvage door.

You can use bolts when you replace the motor but it is way esier to just get some 1/4 rivets and rivet them in again. It is a real pain to get to the back of some of the bolts. I did have a hard time finding big 1/4 inch rivets, but finaly found them at NAPA. The go in super easy.

why would you put a used motor back in?????? How do you know if it last's a week and fails?????