You can type here any text you want

Powermaster question - motor replacemnt?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Thomas G. Tew

I had a GN mechanic check out my powerAsser brake system. The electric motor under the cylinder is burned out. Is there any way this can be seperated and replaced; or should I just junk it and go to Vacuun system.

Yes it can be separated and replaced, the problem is that they are nowhere to be found....You can get a rebuilt Powermaster from Kirbans from time to time. A used unit would be the best bet to get a motor. Good luck. if you decide to go a different route let me know , I would be interested in your Powermaster for parts

Bryan

Yes it can be separated and replaced, the problem is that they are nowhere to be found....You can get a rebuilt Powermaster from Kirbans from time to time. A used unit would be the best bet to get a motor. Good luck. if you decide to go a different route let me know , I would be interested in your Powermaster for parts

Bryan
Thanks Bryan, gotta shop in town that'll rewind starters and other types of electric motors. Think Ill take it to him when I get it off and see what they can do. if I change it out with a vacuum system Ill keep you in mind. Thanks for the info.

even if you can source a new pump and motor assembly, you would very shortly afterwards find out why your old one burned up. It will probably run continuously due to internal leaks in the master cylinder. If you do manage to repair the motor, there's still a strong possibility that the vane pump is shot and leaking internally. I would rebuild the entire unit if you're going to invest anything into it at all.

parts needed:
seal kit from Karps power brake service (contains critical primary and secondary piston seals)
seal kit from Kirbans (contains useful power piston seals)
switch from Kirbans or highway stars
accumulator from Kirbans (use the O-ring in the kit, not the one that comes with the accumulator)

if you are anywhere near Chicago I could help. You have to be hardcore "original" if you want to keep your powermaster. It cost around $800 just for new parts with a new pump/motor, plus labor. And then you need to change the fluid once per year to keep it healthy, and remember to depressurize it when you park the car for an extended period (call me crazy but I think it helps). Powermaster works well when it works, but it needs pampering.

image.jpg
Just built this one last week

Wow, that looks great man. Im not diehard original on this GN. Im getting it ready to sell. Im applying for a patent for an item my wife invented and we will be manufacturing, so ive got to come up with about 15 grand for the patent attorney fees, filing fees, and start-up expenses. I hate it, but I gave this car to my wife as a wedding gift in 1988. Shes ready to sell, so im getting her right and put it out there for about 14-15 G's. Ive enjoyed the hell out of it for a while, but a man's gots to do whut a man's gotta do! Thanks so much for the info, I do wish I was near Chicago, but Im stuck in North carolina. Im gonna see what I can do, may just end up with a vacumn changeover. I saw a complete kit for Vac. on Ebay last week, but someone beat me to it. Found a reman. Power Master last night, but didn;t win it. Oh Well, something will come up. Thanks Man!

Back