You can type here any text you want

Powermaster Unit Failing?? HELP!!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

87TTypeKid

I dont really want to spend big bucks to replace this setup, but here's my problem.

Ever since I got the car back on the road in October after sitting for 2 years, the brake warning light would come on..mainly under moderate force. Slowly, it has been coming on with less and less effort, and recently the problem changed slightly. Now, if I apply the brake slowly but consistently, I can stop the car with no problem. However, in panic stop situations, I slam on the pedal, and it will travel about 30% of the way then feeling as if it stops there hard as a rock (mind you, the brakes not working very effectively at this point), and if you really lean on it, you might push it further, but the brakes still arent that grabby. When this happens, its almost as if once the pedal stops, there is some kind of motor running which allows the pedal down further. Also, sometimes while just sitting at a light, it will sound as if a relay is kicking on and off, and I can "feel" the click of the relay through the brake pedal...

No visible fluid leaks, reservoir is full...proportioning valve isnt leaking either.

I'm not too familiar with this braking system, so any assistance would be greatly appreciated...I'd like to be able to stop.

Familiarize yourself with the PM system. Do some trouble shooting. These systems are actually pretty easy. Look here

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/brakes/brakespage.html

It's a good start. Read up on the PM. The light is coming on because your high pressure is too low and you have to find out why.

I can tell you right now, if your fluid bowl is full and you haven't depressurized your system yet, your bowl is overfull. When properly filled and pressurized, the passengerside of the bowl should only be about half full.

Depending on what may be wrong, you may spend big bucks. The PM parts prices aren't getting any cheaper. I still think it is better than the vacumm system for our cars.

Back