You can type here any text you want

Powermaster

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

oc192

I was cruising along the other day when suddenly my brakes 'went out'. I had to practically stand on the brakes just to slow the car down. I parked the car for a few days and drove it again for a few miles around my neighborhood and the brakes worked great. Is it normal for the brakes to fail completely and then work a few days later? Do I still have life in the powermaster and just need some maintenance or is it ready to fail for good? Should I just bite the bullet now and go for the conversion? I am leaning towards the vacuum setup just for ease of installation.

Go to gnttype and look under brake systems for a complete analysis description to troubleshoot your problem. Just a note: Brake problems are not known to heal themselves.

Agreed. It will happen again at the most inopportune moment.

It could be a lot of things. The motor itself might not be running like it should keeping your accumulator charged. I'd definitely go through some troubleshooting, although that will be hard since it isn't showing regular and repeatable symptoms.

Don't be afraid of a hydroboost swap. Vacuum is great also. I could have done either, but I much preferred the pedal feel of hydroboost. Both systems have their positives and negatives. I drove turbo regals with both systems (otherwise stock components) and decided based on that.

Ok guys, I tried taking out the powermaster over the weekend and for the most part the frustration level wasn't too high. I did run into a snag though. I removed 3 of the 4 bolts under the dash and the cotter pin however the 4th bolt is not actually a bolt but some kind of lock washer? Any tips on getting this out? I am using a screwdriver to bang the edges and spin it off but that is quite tedious.

Also, is putting the vacuum assembly back in more of a pain in the ass then removing the powermaster? I foresee the cotter pin being troublesome as well as changing out the brake pedal.

P2281329b.jpg

Back