You can type here any text you want

Powerstroke IC Install w/ Stock Radiator

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

8UWITH6

Keepin' The Shiny Side Up
Hey guys, Ive been getting some parts gathered for my Grand National. I picked up a Powerstroke IC cheeep and am wanting to do the install in the next few weeks. However, I got to looking at the stock tranny cooler lines and was wondering if they will be in the way or cause other problems? We did a Powerstroke on a local buddys car, and it went in with minimal problems, however that was with the LT1 1 core aluminum radiator from Napa. What are your experiences with the stock radiator and a Powerstroke? I want to make this install as clean and stealthy as possible with the least amount of clutter and cutting. Is it possible with the stock rad? Or would I be better off installing the LT1 radiator from Napa......I have one sitting in my garage just in case. Thanks in advance. Trust me, this thing'll be perfect once I get her set in there juuuuust right. :)

PS: the AC lines and condensor have been removed.

Just finished helping my friend with his powerstroke install. A good bit of cutting is necessary. There is no way around it, but it looks awesome. I'll try to post pics soon, If anyone want's to see some I can email. The stock rad. tranny lines are close but no problem to get around depending on what kind of piping you are planning. We are going to use 3 inch and it's going to work out fine. good luck

I wish I could offer more help, but I had already moved the battery to the trunk for weight distribution and other reasons. I looked and it seemed like I could still get the battery in there with the pipes I used. I used all 2 1/2" pipes and welded the sections together so the pipes would be as few pieces as posible. I've got pics in my sig below.

ADAM

I know there is a bit of cutting. My only fear is the inner fender wells. But I think I can make it look "factory". Piping is 3" mandrel bent Napa pieces. I have pics of my buddys, but no hosting sites. So the trans lines are not a problem? Are they above the inlet of the powerstroke? What did you do with the lines? Did you use tranny cooler hose to make it work? Thanks

*****J BANNING CALLING OUT J BANNING*******

J Banning is the guy that helped me out with some data on the PS IC install.

mine PS IC was a huge problem but well worth it for power, and learning experience. I have a be cool radiator and its about 2" to 3" longer then stock. So i had to relocate my battery, relocate tranny lines(converted to AN line) and had to fab up some new oil lines, which isn't hard it just takes time.

Results, much quicker spool up time from the better/bigger flowing pipes(2.5"). Dont know time improvement because im redoing my motor. Came out very happy with the PS IC. I can't give any sort of detailed idea about were to cut because were i cut is going to be different from were you should cut (cus of the be cool radiator).

So good luck, and be sure to get a BOV, tial makes a nice quite one. This has been covered time and time again on this forum but all i can say is what i personally have experienced. Having a BOV releases all the back presure thats still inside your pipes the moment you let off the accelerator. Not having one will send all the backpresure back to the turbo which kills the life of a turbo. Heres the kicker.....my buddy with a GN and same turbo as me doesn't have a BOV and his car is LOUDER then mine when he left off the gas....go figure that on out. Like i said im just saying what ive experienced.

HYBRIDT, How did you go abouts making you piping? Also did I see you have your Translator in your up pipe going into the TB? Where can you get a cheap BOV

Neil I see that you have found a intercooler did you find one from a yard or another sorce.
Were you able to get the up for your install, the Napa here told me they couldn't get it I have everything else but that, How much was it too?

Darkside, thanks for the info. Im sure I can make it fit, I guess Im just not sure which radiator to run. I got a good deal on the aluminum 1 core, so I guess why not run that? However Id have to delete the oil cooler. I guess thats not a big deal? Also, I dont feel the need for a blow off valve. The car has never had one, didnt come with one, so why spend money on one? Tons of people dont have one, and have no problems.

Larry, picked it up at Midway in North KC, 175 bucks. I got the pipes from out warehouse at work. I have the part numbers if you need them.

fatride,

I just used 2 1/2" mandrell bends and cut a chunk at a time, tacked them together. Then I welded all the pieces together out of the car and painted them up. I couldn't tell you which place to get a BOV from, 'cause I paid a lot for mine. I can say I'm not too fond of the BOV I've got (Greddy Type-R) 'cause the springs too stiff for the boost levels I'm running. It's made more for high cubes and high boost levels. I put the MAF on the up-pipe for a couple reasons. 1-the ECM isn't reading MAF signal that's blown off. 2-more accurate MAF reading and if I were to blow a boost hose the car still would run fine(could run without a turbo or intercooler even there).

ADAM

getting a BOV is your choice, i just shared what i have experienced. Its an unbias opinion. And most of the people that aren't running one have more money then me ;) and can afford not to have one.

As far as the oil cooler goes, i would like to beleive that the boards agrees with me on this one....it is a must. Oil is the blood that flows through out the body of the 3.8L turbo beast. You want your oil to be as clean and cold as possible. Not having one, and not having a clean filter would be like you drinking and smoking out, lol. NOT healthy, and creates lag on the motor. Lag creates more stress, and will eat away at the life of your motor. I highly recomend an after market oil cooler, there cheap and ez to install.

Another personal thought i can share with you that i have learned sense having my car, its the small things that you do to your car that give you the edge at the track and/or on the street. Small things like oil/tranny coolers, BOV, BIGGY oil filters, valve breathers, AN line for the turbo. Small things like that will add up over time and will turn into the winning edge over your enemy.:cool: GOOD LUCK sir.

www.auto-jet.com has mandrel bent tubing. The prices are fairly reasonable. When I did a FMIC on my '95TA, I bought the U bends from JC Whitney. I cut a piece at a time w/ a hacksaw and tacked them together. If you don't have access to a chopsaw, use a hose clamp as a guide.

I have the powerstroke IC that will go in my TB. All I need now is the TB:D:D:D.

Good luck,

Steve.

Something that might be cool to try would be to use the oval shaped tubing you can buy from Burns' stainless. You can get mandrel bends from them and, while it may cost more, it would make the tight spots a little less tight. Kinda cool though.

ADAM

Yes, oil is the life of any motor. And how many production cars have oil coolers? Not many to my knowledge. I understand the reason for one, but for as much as I drive this car, I dont think its that big of a deal. Id really like to know how much the stock oil cooler really helps. My guess is not *much*. However, I will obviously look into this. But I dont want a string of coolers (trans and oil) all over the front of my car. I change my oil and filter often, and never abuse the car........so wouldnt this be adequate? Thanks for the replies. Anything else fellas? THANK YOU

I had to rebend the trans cooler lines that come in/out of the radiator. I have a stock radiator, did not move my battery, and used 2.5" aluminized steel pipes from jcwhitney.com.

-Banning.

My way of the big squeze

I took me a while to figure out how to make a room for this monster and after a long (couple days)leer to it finally made the decision.We all know that the out pipes out the PS are 3 1/2"so instead going thru the front by cutting the support I went forward (facing the grill)and ran couple of 90 degree bends in 3"pipe to the motor ..Yes it does take some cutting-trimming of the head light bezels so make up your mind before you go too far with it ..Power gains are well worth it ..I switched to a 80's chrome bumper since it need some cutting to accomodate the 3"pipes but it does look pretty good :D If anybody wants some pic's or advise let me know..:)

These pics may or may not help u but lets hopr for the best. Try this website for pics and instuctions of my install. I think I am 1 of the few people who was able to install my i/c beneath the header panel. Which makes it almost impossible to see unless u look thru the grill.http://dtcc.cz28.com/

UPDATE:

Well, this sucker is in there......temporarily mounted for test fits and such. I think Ive got pretty much everything squared away with the exception of the upper radiator hose. As you will see in the links below, I am going to try going straight out from the T-stat to the core support, then across. However, it looks like it will be a tight fit. We will see. Slowly but surely it will get finished. Oh yeah, Im going to be making trim plates out of plastic for the inner fenders so the slots I cut out look factory. I havent even started that portion yet, but Im getting there.......tell me what you think............

www.geocities.com/powerstrokegn/

If it doesnt work, try later, its a free website, so it has its limits. Thanks

Re: My way of the big squeze

Originally posted by pajo
I took me a while to figure out how to make a room for this monster and after a long (couple days)leer to it finally made the decision.We all know that the out pipes out the PS are 3 1/2"so instead going thru the front by cutting the support I went forward (facing the grill)and ran couple of 90 degree bends in 3"pipe to the motor ..Yes it does take some cutting-trimming of the head light bezels so make up your mind before you go too far with it ..Power gains are well worth it ..I switched to a 80's chrome bumper since it need some cutting to accomodate the 3"pipes but it does look pretty good :D If anybody wants some pic's or advise let me know..:)

Please email me any pictures you may have. With your permission, I'd like to post them to my site. Include any tips/suggestions/instructions you may have.

-Banning.

Back